Water Pump Removal, another idea

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Olafskii
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 72 GT750, 74 GT750, 75 T500, 76T500, 09 DR650

Water Pump Removal, another idea

Post by Olafskii »

The GT750 service manual says to use pliers to pull the water pump shaft. Pliers!

After careful inspection and measurement of the pump shaft, I decided to make a fitting that engages the small impeller circlip groove. I then made a small 'chair' to go over the pump hole. In this way I was able to use a conventional cheapie 2-legged puller to draw out the pump assembly. The pictures below illustrate how this device works—pretty good it turns out. It took me about a day of shop time to make the 'chair' and shaft fitting. I expect that a skilled machinist would take about half that time.

Attached is a .pdf sketch of the fitting and the 'chair'. Pay attention to the shaft diameter tolerance. the circlip groove isn't very deep and the upper tolerance dimension (.3925") is 'size for size' for the slightly corroded pump shaft on my '74 engine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: Water Pump Removal, another idea

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Nicely done Olaf ! :up: Mind if I add this info, properly attributed of course, to the user tips section of my web site ? It would appear here. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Re: Water Pump Removal, another idea

Post by rngdng »

Nice. While you have it out, you could do Alan's mod that gives you a pusher bolt from the top. Just a thought....

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........