pod filters on T500M?

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

jimbow
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 t500, '76 gt185, '70 t200

pod filters on T500M?

Post by jimbow »

Had no intention of doing this but after having to remove the left carb to fix a stuck float valve & a weeping bowl gasket on the right I am having a complete nightmare trying to get the carbs back in place. The carb to airbox hose keeps popping off in particular. It doesn't have a hose clip on it, just zip ties, & won't stay put. I totally lost my sanity just now and ranted like a lunatic at it.
The bike is a Nov 74 built T500M imported to the UK from Canada several years ago & restored by the previous owner. Carbs have standard jetting & exhaust is standard.
Thinking that the 52mm ram air foam filter pods marketed for the T500 & GT500 might be the way to go. Would extensive re-jetting be required?
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: pod filters on T500M?

Post by GTandcbr »

If your carb to cylinder rubbers are old and hard they will be really hard to put back on. We've all been there and do understand.
Replacing the rubbers with new is the best solution as you will find because they are more flexible push on more easily. However there are some other fixes. Use a heat gun to gently warm them up to make them more supple. Or you can soak the rubbers in a mixture of rubbing alcohol and wintergreen oil to soften them up.
Fitting pods is okay but can cause problems in that the extreme vibration of a 2 stroke can shake the pods so as to allow the ingress of excess air thereby making the mixture weak.
Lastly zip ties is NOT an acceptable way of securing carb rubbers on any engine IMHO. It must be a hose clip.
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

Question: How are you removing/reinstalling the carbs? I do quite a bit of disassembly, which may seem like it is more work, but I have found it quicker (and much less frustrating) than trying to squeeze everything back together between the intake boots and the air box boot:

-- Remove seat.
-- Remove battery (I have a quick disconnect attached to the battery, which allows me to remove it easily, as well as connect a battery tender).
-- Remove battery box (two bolts on top, one at air box)
-- Remove air box and boot (two clamps at carbs, and I believe one other 10nm bolt)
-- Remove carbs.

Reassembly is obviously reverse of above. It is so much easier than trying to fit everything in the middle. It also allows for much easier syncing of the carbs (room to feel what's going on). There is a bit of adjustment possible in the air box mounting, that you should be able to almost mount it without any clamps on the carbs (but you should toss the cable ties, and get a couple of clamps - they are cheap).

I've removed the carbs from my bike several dozen times, and I can do a removal (or a reassembly) easily under 15 minutes.

If the airbox boot is so old/bad that you just can't in anyway make it work, try contacting CSM Restoration Parts, who makes some quality replacement rubber parts. They are on eBay as user djia - https://www.ebay.com/str/CSM-Restoration-Parts
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

GTandcbr wrote: Lastly zip ties is NOT an acceptable way of securing carb rubbers on any engine IMHO. It must be a hose clip.
+1. You will get air leaks and could seize your engine. Order some of the correct Suzuki clips from Crooks Suzuki, they're only a couple of quid each. Don't use any old jubilee / worm drive clips, they can tear the rubber boot. The Suzuki clips are designed to clamp the hose properly without tearing the rubber.
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

Post by dorT500 »

The way ConnerVT suggested doing it is the best way. Been there...done that. At first you think...screw all that...but then you realize after doing it that way, it was worth it....a lot easier, even if you still fought with the boots a little. Like was mentioned earlier, you are not alone in the aggravation encountered sometimes when it comes to fighting these boots and even worse when you buy a brand new one (not cheap) and it 'turns on you' like your old one did much sooner than expected.

As far as the pattern boots,
Weren't the early T500 airbox boots different than the later ones...that is had a little different reach because of the intake pipes? I believe the the pattern boot that Clauss Studios sells is the earlier one...the one that is discontinued from Suzuki. It use to be Clauss's policy that they would not make a part if that part was still available from the original manufacturer. At least that is what they told me in a phone call years back. I am just assuming nothing has changed.

Click on the boot they show and it gives, though one digit short, an earlier part number range....the one discontinued?

https://www.claussstudios.com/store/c39/Suzuki.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope I am wrong about that boot not fitting later models because I am going to break down and go ahead and buy one, the later one that is still available from Suzuki...... I got tired of buying airbox boots every couple of years a few years ago and have just been using Gorilla brand black duck tape to further seal the boots to the carbs but as my bike attracts more admirers because of on going work on it....the tape is a little embarrassing. :) Even if Clauss Studios does not make the boot I need yet, for others sake, hopefully the material they use will stand up to ethanol better than the original ones and at least you know they are freshly made.
jimbow
On the street

Post by jimbow »

Well thanks very much for taking the trouble to respond guys, I appreciate it. Did do a search on fitting pods & it does sound somewhat problematical. Just to clarify - my carb to airbox boot is a new one fitted by the PO & reasonably flexible. The only place where cable ties have been used is on the boot to airbox connection, not on the carbs. Can you get a replacement clamp for that as much of the problem is that it keeps popping off when I try to wriggle the carbs in? This could be the answer to my issue. If they were available I'd have though PO would have fitted one as not too many corners appear to have been cut. Well, one or two have now I think about it!
Was really hoping not to have to do too much disassembling along with carb removal/replacement but I hear what you say. Am having enough of that trying to sort one of the carbs on my XS650 (linked of course so both have to come off). Oh for a single carb bike with loads of space around it. (That will be my 1969 Triumph T100C then - although that has its own set of challenges).
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GTandcbr »

So the big clamp appears not to be available but i can make a suggestion. If you send an email to gtreiner1@aol.com explaining what you want (09402-00163) he is in Germany and i have used him often for hard to locate parts.
Last edited by GTandcbr on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

jimbow wrote:.......... The only place where cable ties have been used is on the boot to airbox connection, not on the carbs. Can you get a replacement clamp for that as much of the problem is that it keeps popping off when I try to wriggle the carbs in?
That's part number 09402-00163 no longer available from Suzuki. I suppose you could fashion one from a hardware store as long as you had a substantial protective buffer between it and the rubber boot.....otherwise....

If it were me, here in the states, I don't think it would be too hard to locate one, even just messaging ebay sellers to see if they had one.... but for you, being in the UK, I wonder if the shipping and other fees would make such a small item worth it.

I'll check if I have one you are welcome to but I am pretty sure it may have gone with a spare air box I sent someone years back.

Entering part number in Google search engine....a couple popped up on a German site and a Russian site also but I have not done business with them before.

You might want to ask for one in the For Sale/wanted section in this message board ....surely someone has one laying around they would give up or sell just for a few dollars and/or call a couple of wreckers in the UK and Australia for a used one.

Also, if you 'do' facebook...I don't :| .....you might ask around over there.........https://www.facebook.com/groups/suzi500/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Good Luck
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

Flexible single-use Stainless steel clamps are readily available which will do this job perfectly.
(I forget what they're called :oops: though)
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

dorT500 wrote: As far as the pattern boots,
Weren't the early T500 airbox boots different than the later ones...that is had a little different reach because of the intake pipes? I believe the the pattern boot that Clauss Studios sells is the earlier one...the one that is discontinued from Suzuki. It use to be Clauss's policy that they would not make a part if that part was still available from the original manufacturer. At least that is what they told me in a phone call years back. I am just assuming nothing has changed.
Some input from me, regarding early and late air box assemblies. I've dealt with all of this, as my bike (a '71) arrived to me with a late model air box fitted, and I went through several permutations during my rebuild. It was a few years ago, so relying from memory here:

-- The later models moved the entire air box assembly back about 4-5 cm (2"), as the intake boots are longer. Because of this, the air box boot barely touched the tachometer cable coming into the oil pump. The difference in the two versions of the boots are very negligible. I honestly believe that either can be used without issue (I have both, and cannot remember seeing a difference).

-- Unless you are building a concourse restoration, a hose clamp is a hose clamp. There are billions of them made. Suitable aftermarket clamps are not that difficult to find.
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

dorT500 wrote:...I suppose you could fashion one from a hardware store as long as you had a substantial protective buffer between it and the rubber boot.....otherwise....
Rounded band edges would be a plus toward protecting that new rubber boot you have. The trick is to find one the right diameter and width.

Just an example... https://www.do88.se/en/artiklar/hose-cl ... 140mm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

ConnerVT wrote:......The difference in the two versions of the boots are very negligible. I honestly believe that either can be used without issue (I have both, and cannot remember seeing a difference).
aahh, what to do, what to do. :? We both knnow that part numbers can change for many reasons including slight cosmetic changes, a different manufacturer taking over making the part for Suzuki, even a slight change in the make up of the material .....I dunno....I need to think over getting the one from Clauss Studios or getting the one that is available it from Suzuki.

However, it does seem like Clauss Studios would add a clarification to the listing if they were getting customers saying that the boot would not fit their later T/GT's. They do put that early part number there though. Seems like years ago they did not even list any part numbers along side the part ....just years I think.....but maybe I'm wrong on that.

I'll call them next week and see if they can confirm no problems with previous customers on the fitment.

Thanks for your input.
jimbow
On the street

Post by jimbow »

Yep, went to local Halfords, bought a 100 - 120 mm hose clip which did the job. Still a horrible fiddle but it helped to work partly through the empty airbox. Thanks for the advice all.
A shame to not go to pods in a way - the airbox would make a great tool compartment as I don't have the original toolbox on mine.
I realise now that this is an old photo - I now have the CCI decal on the oil tank!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GTandcbr »

Very nice indeed! Glad you got it sorted :up:
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

Another fine example of a blast from the past. :up:

Did the previous owner happen to give you the original rear shocks....the one with the chrome shroud caps?

If so, you can compress the springs, remove the top and put them on the shocks you have now, if you're so inclined to do so. If interested and you don't already know how, just ask.

ImageImage

About not having the original tool box.....do you mean tool bag? No tool box came on a T500....just a bag that sat in the combination battery cross brace/tool bag holder. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.

Glad you got everything worked out and though I do love the look of pleated and chrome cap pods myself, I just don't have any desire or need to go chasing different jetting, etc......but that's just me.