Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Re: Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Post by Suzukidave »

Kevin does have a engine tuner so i dont know how much of what goes on inside the motor he can talk about :ssh:
the older i get the faster i was
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Suzukidave wrote:Kevin does have a engine tuner so i dont know how much of what goes on inside the motor he can talk about :ssh:
Twas ever thus with engine tuners :D
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Ready for our first and last meeting this year with the CRMC 500 Air Cooled class at Brands Hatch this weekend. We also have an entry for the open King of Brands race on the Sunday. We have the luxury of pit garage #7 which we are sharing with a couple of the other lads, stick your head around the door and say hello if you are passing.

garry55
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 hybrids (x2) RGV500

Post by garry55 »

Good luck :up:

Hope all goes well.
Garry

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I know I can stop anytime.
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

The races at Brands Hatch were curtailed both days because of incidents and we did not get all our scheduled races even started. Still, on the Friday test day Gary May stuck in a couple laps in the 55s , the best being 55.52s which is almost a second under the our class lap record. We did complete one 500 Air Cooled race where Gary came from row 13 on the grid to place 2nd. Here he is at Paddock Hill bend:

The bike has since been stripped for a winter tart up. The frame is now away getting painted (metallic grey)

Anyone for a T500 race engine :D

Cheers Geoff
Suspensionking
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500 Suzuki, AJR Bultaco, Honda NS475

Post by Suspensionking »

Hi Geoff
Nice to read you got the bike out for Brands and seems Gary was really flying, was that the race engine? Looks like you have quite some work on over the winter. I did only 2 race meetings this year because of work commitments, so was not able to defend or improve my 3rd place in the 2016 championship this year. (There is always next year) while I have been away the class has filled up with some very fast 900 Ducati`s and 1000cc Moto Guzzi`s so was very competitive. I managed a 6th place which was not great but was 2 seconds a lap faster than last year at Calafat, so I was pleased with that. We had quite some carb setting issues in the training and qualifying mostly when I was on a neutral throttle through the esses. The temperature was quite warm for mid October 30 Deg C and we ended up dropping down to 230 main jet on one carb and 240 on the other to get both cylinder Heads close on temperature. One running at 198 deg C and the other 189 deg C. once on the main jet the bike was strong but could not match the speed of the big twins down the straight.
I need to look at the brakes in the winter as I was struggling with the single disc to stop the bike into some of the tight bends when trying to pass other bikes.

I hope to get out in January at Valencia if we can find a new set up for the brakes and work on the carb settings.

look forward to see your bike after you make the winter revamp.

cheers

Eamonn
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hello Eamonn,

We were treating the Brands meeting as a test for 2018. Tragically a rider was killed on the Saturday and all racing was canceled. On the Sunday 3 riders went down in the morning and all needed hospital treatment which left no doctors or ambulances at the circuit and racing for the day was again canceled. We did have a good days testing on the Friday (blue skies and sunshine all day) to dial in the race engine in. Much to my surprise we ended up 7 sizes up on the main jets compared to the dyno (280's to 360 left/350 right). The bike was going well and Gary was lapping in the low 56s with a best of 55.52s. The CHT's were in the 150-170 deg C range which I thought reasonable (air temp in the 10-14 deg C range).

We also run a single 290mm disc up front with EBC "Green" organic pads. Gary has found this set-up to be very effective, although the colour of the disc after a race shows that it is getting very hot :D . No reports of brake fade though over our rather short 6 lap races.

Good luck for 2018 :up:

Cheers Geoff
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

Geoff

Sorry to read about those incidents at Brands especially the tragic one.
Interesting you were running such big jet sizes and I seem to go in the other direction. Ok the temperature plays a part and Calafat is by the sea, However that is a big difference. My engine runs to 8500 max I shift at 8300. Run 36mm carbs & bacon pipes I guess also no two engines are really the same.

For the brakes I think the problem is as we only get the one race its 12 or 15 laps depending on the circuit, usually the race works out to be 50km. Also my fault I never use the rear brake, so its all on the front.I will order some of those EBC Green pads for my January test

keep you posted on the progress

Eamonn
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

sorry they are Abcon pipes
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi Eamonn,

I was making the assumption that you also used AP Lockheed calipers so the pads I use may not be available for your set-up. These pads do wear at quite a fast rate compared to others so you have to keep an eye on them.

Yes, the change in jets we used at Brands were also a surprise to me. The atmospheric conditions in the dyno room were a fair bit different to Brands on the day though. Our race engine runs 38mm VM Mikunis, fuel was a 50:50 blend of 100LL Avgas/Premium unleaded and oil Castrol A747 @ 20:1. Our engine drops off just before 8000rpm and makes 60bhp/46 lbs.ft torque at the rear wheel. We would like a few more revs and plan to address this over winter.

Yes, no two engines are the same :D Chris Kirkby with his 5-port barrels is running 450 main jets :o .

Cheers Geoff
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

Geoff

thanks for the Pad reference I also run Lockheed so will give those a try.
We did a test at Zolder Beligum after Thierry finished the bike back in April and we compared the 107 Octane race fuel we ran last year compared to Shell V-Power 100 Octane Pump fuel available at shell stations and it ran better on the 100 octane Shell so we stayed with that this year. I changed to ELF oil and run premix only at 3%.
The ELF HTX976+ is much thicker than the Castrol 747 so needs to be mixed well, We had started with the ELF at 4% but it smoked a little so we dropped it down to 3% and it seems to be OK.

Cheers

Eamonn
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

Geoff forgot to say if you do Facebook search "Senior Moments Race Team" you will fin some photo`s etc from the Spanish Championship which I put on there.

Eamonn
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Suspensionking wrote:sorry they are Abcon pipes
Oh and I thought they were smoking bacon pipes! I like smoked bacon. Abcon doesn't sound anywhere near as tasty. Lol :wth:
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

yes I do miss the smokey bacon your right the bacon just does not sound as good :clap:
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Suspensionking wrote:yes I do miss the smokey bacon your right the bacon just does not sound as good :clap:
True, and possibly the bacon doesn't give as many horse power. If it did....I guess we would have to call it pig power instead!
....I wonder if a bacon exhaust could combine two of the worlds greatest smells; burnt 2-stroke oil and sizzling bacon.
Perhaps i am taking an already ridiculous topic to its extreme conclusion, but my mind likes to ponder these problems. It stops me worrying about serious stuff instead. Sometimes I'd like to Danepak up my troubles in my old kit bag and ride, ride, ride.