An unexpected bike-T500

Interesting stories of you and a Suzuki you have owned.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

oldrookie
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1971 T500, 2001 SV650, 1983 GR650

An unexpected bike-T500

Post by oldrookie »

I've been dreaming about a project bike for a while, but life kept getting in the way. Important things like both daughters deciding to get married within four months of each other, a son still in college, a car that really needed work if I didn't want to buy another, etc.

So when a riding buddy called and said his neighbor wanted to get rid of a couple T500s prior to moving I decided to go take a look. I honestly had no idea what a T500 was. I was into dirtbikes back in the '70's and streetbikes were not on the radar.

Cool old bikes--one a basket case--so I bought them. Sold the parts bike a few days later to help the budget and started cleaning the carbs on the '71 that remained.

I'll get running--while hoping for the best with the crankshaft seals--and decide where to go with it after that. Unlikely to be a restoration, but you never know. No crazy custom, probably, as I think survivors deserve to survive.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Re: An unexpected bike-T500

Post by rngdng »

Looks like a good one. You're in the right place if you have questions.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
oldrookie
On the street

Post by oldrookie »

Sure looks like it! Spent a lot of time reading threads and have learned a lot already. Happy to have found the forum.
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

Yeah what a GREAT score! Welcome.
oldrookie
On the street

Post by oldrookie »

joolstacho wrote:Yeah what a GREAT score! Welcome.
Thank you!

Ordered carb rebuild parts today and started the paperwork to get the title transferred.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

oldrookie wrote:
Thank you!

Ordered carb rebuild parts today and started the paperwork to get the title transferred.
DON'T USE THE JETS IN THE REBUILD KIT!

They are always wrong. Clean the jets or replace them with genuine Mikuni parts. Trust me, you'll regret using the jets that come in any aftermarket carb kit. The float valves and gaskets will be fine.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
oldrookie
On the street

Post by oldrookie »

rngdng wrote:
oldrookie wrote:
Thank you!

DON'T USE THE JETS IN THE REBUILD KIT!

They are always wrong. Clean the jets or replace them with genuine Mikuni parts. Trust me, you'll regret using the jets that come in any aftermarket carb kit. The float valves and gaskets will be fine.

Lane
Ordered OEM gaskets, etc. Brought an '83 GR650 back to life a few years ago and received the same advice from the folk on The GS Resources forum too.
oldrookie
On the street

Post by oldrookie »

Quick update. I got another box of parts from the seller after I sold the parts bike. Had another set of carbs, so I've torn those down for cleaning as well.

Made a DIY soda blaster and did a quick pass on some of the carb bodies, but decided I needed to take a break long enough to create a blast cabinet. As it turns out, baking soda will in fact blow all over the garage unless you have a way to contain it. :D

Carb parts came in, but think I may need to order a couple of pilot jets before reassembling any of them. Hard to wait, as I want to take a shot at starting the bike to see what I am dealing with, but better safe than sorry. The pilot jets screw heads were marginally marred when I removed them. One still in the carbs from the '72 as I couldn't get it to budge. May take some heat to get it out.

This dirt was in the float bowl of the first carb I pulled off the bike.
https://goo.gl/photos/1rTbLGN4wzNcvmGz9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldrookie
On the street

Post by oldrookie »

Carbs are clean and I set the slides last night.

Spent a few minutes draining a bit of the old two-stroke oil out of the tank this evening.

Decided I would fill the tank with a different color oil (has green in the tank and in the line) so I can see the line change color if the oil pump is working correctly when I try to start the bike. Probably going to give that a try early next week after my final grades have been turned in.

Going to have a friend with a lot of experience building and riding two-strokers come by when I give that a try just to have someone who knows what to listen for if anything is wrong.

The rubber bit connecting the airbox to the carbs is in bad shape, but I think I'll use tape to seal it up enough to try to start the bike. Just want to know if it is going to run.

Next job, prior to trying to start it, is to drain the crankcase put a fresh 1.2 liters of oil in.
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Next job, prior to trying to start it, is to drain the crankcase put a fresh 1.2 liters of oil in.
Suzuki changed the amount of gear box oil to 1400cc along with a modification to the internal structure of the cases to raise the height of an oil dam. If your c/cases have 1200cc embossed next to the oil filler the cases would benefit from this modification. It consists of a rubber curtain which is glued on, but requires the cases to be split to do so. It prevents oil starvation to 4th & 5th gears during prolonged freeway cruising. For normal street riding you will be OK (ish) until you can get around to do it.

You can still get the carb to airbox rubber from Suzuki AFAIK, but they often appear on eBay.

Cheers Geoff
oldrookie
On the street

Post by oldrookie »

Zunspec4 wrote:
Suzuki changed the amount of gear box oil to 1400cc along with a modification to the internal structure of the cases to raise the height of an oil dam. If your c/cases have 1200cc embossed next to the oil filler the cases would benefit from this modification. It consists of a rubber curtain which is glued on, but requires the cases to be split to do so. It prevents oil starvation to 4th & 5th gears during prolonged freeway cruising. For normal street riding you will be OK (ish) until you can get around to do it.

You can still get the carb to airbox rubber from Suzuki AFAIK, but they often appear on eBay.

Cheers Geoff
Thanks, Geoff. I had found the info about the modification, but I'm not certain this bike had it done. At this point I'm just wanting to get it started to see if there are any significant issues with the bike.

I'll tear it down and check to see if the dam has been added later, but I'm just wanting see what I'm dealing with before I do.
oldrookie
On the street

Post by oldrookie »

Okay, pulled the oil lines to test the check valves. Three of four are holding oil, but the fourth line just freely released the oil onto my bench. Sweet.

So, now I need to figure out whether flushing/cleaning the valve will return it to proper working order, or whether I need to replace it.

I know I can't get the Suzuki check valves, but that some are using the Kawasaki version. Question--If I replace it with the Kawi version, do I need to replace them all, or can I just replace the one?
oldrookie
On the street

Post by oldrookie »

Found directions for how to take the check valve off and service it. Did so and it is currently undergoing leakdown testing as I write (sounds fancy, actually all I did was prime it and hang it upside down to see if it holds oil like it is supposed to do.)

Used a .177 caliber cleaning brush to hone the barrel of the check valve to make sure the spring wasn't hanging up on any crud on the inside.

Just to give me another option, I ordered the Kawasaki version of the part and should have it on Friday. So far, so good.

Also ordered a rubber dam (which I had previously thought unobtanium) that is to be installed in the engine case to allow it to hold 1400cc's of oil in the transmission housing area. In the early bikes, like mine, the capacity was 1200cc's and there issues with gears four and five wearing prematurely due to oil escaping away from the transmission area. So, assuming the bike runs okay on initial setup, I'll be ready to do a more complete tear down in the fall/winter.
Stev-o
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '72 TS250, '66 X6 Hustler Plus Plus Plus

Post by Stev-o »

Congrats, looks like a nice bike. My buddy recently bought a T500 too, got it running after just cleaning the carbs and fresh gas.