Just some musings

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Just some musings

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Taking some time to do some general work on one of my RG500s. One plan is to upgrade the wire harness, one main area was to replace the ignition coil wires with larger ones and add some extra circuits as well and retape the whole thing along with a general tidying up of its appearance.
Recently I began this process and did it with the harness still on the bike, yup it never left the bike while I was working on it. It may sound strange to do this but on these bikes its actually possible and easier.
I also wanted to make custom cables for the power valves which I made and fitted, along with fitting new custom brake lines and caliper rebuilds etc.
I also rebuilt the battery box/oil tank section amongst other things, heres a few photos showing a bit of the work being done.

New custom power valve cables fitted to the motor and one pair of the new ignition coil harness wires can be seen in this photo, along with a section of the retaped harness.

The new location for the main fuse, putting it here makes for a loss of about five feet of the stock wires.

Rebuilt rear caliper with restored hangar bracket and new custom braided ss lines/fittings.

A customized shift unit using some of the orignal parts along with a modified GSX600 lever for a shorter throw.

SS flange bolt on pipe bracket, very decent quality items. The footest bracket was also customized and then restored.

New alternator yellow phase wires, upsized to 14 gauge.

Rebuilt battery box plate/oil tank looks way better now its been upgraded/restored. The two pin connector shown is an addition which will be used for the JDM fuel gauge temp gauge unit.

The four carbs were removed and ultrasonically cleaned then rebuilt. The throttle cable assembly and choke cable assembly was also rebuilt.

The radiator has been restored and will go back in shortly. All of the Tygon lines are new as well as the oil lines from the tank to oil pump.

The new five lower throttle cables. One is for the oil pump

The custom built power valve cables during the rebuild, these are three sets of the short ones shown.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: Just some musings

Post by Alan H »

You obviously have far too much time on your hands Allan. You should spend some time elsewhere, like in a bar and talk professional crap with someone.
In fact I'm so concerned about your health, I'll volunteer for the task - just to keep you healthy. So let me know when there's a couple of bikes available in running order (we need something to talk about, right?) and I'll nip over for a few days.

Failing that, your work is, as always 1st class. Keep up the standard mate. :wink:
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Thanks Mr H, its always great to hear from you, BTW I left a message on your machine.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

I'll pick it up 'soon' as we are in another country again!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.