Headlight bowl wiring

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Ramjam
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gsx 750R, GPZ 750, GT380

Headlight bowl wiring

Post by Ramjam »

Hi all
I did it again. Bugger. Took the headlight bowel off to have polished and thought 'how hard can it be putting all the wiring blocks together?'

I think its just the indicators which i can't figure out. If anyone can help, please look caregully at the pic and let me know how to hook up the remaing cables.

thanks

MJ in Beirut
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: Headlight bowel wiring

Post by jabcb »

Here is the wiring diagram:

B/W (black with white stripe) is the ground. Looks like you have 3 of them to connect together.

The white + green connector is for the right handlebar control.
The O (orange) & O/W (orange with white stripe) are for the engine kill switch.
The Y/G (yellow with green stripe) is for the electric start. That’s a wire used on the GT550 but not the GT380.

That end of the Y/G wire looks dangerous & may cause a short at some time — you should tape that off.

The G (green) & O (orange) that are not connected are probably for the horn. You don’t have a stock horn & I don’t see the wires they should connect to.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

thanks for that. So, just to be clear

All three of the earth cables should be connected to one another?

THe white and green connector is for the (left) handlebar control surely, for all the lights and indicator?

That leaves me with still a couple of loose cables. Are those remainers nothing to do with the indicators?

thanks

MJ
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

What are the wire colors for all of your loose wires?

Two of the B/W wires have male connectors. The other B/W wire should have a double female connector. These 3 earth wires get connected together.

For the white + green connector, the white side should be this:

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

jabcb wrote:What are the wire colors for all of your loose wires?

Two of the B/W wires have male connectors. The other B/W wire should have a double female connector. These 3 earth wires get connected together.

For the white + green connector, the white side should be this:

thanks. BUt im still stuck. I have two black wires coming from each ofh the front indicators and have no idea where they go. Or do they just earth? I have the feeling that they take power to the indicators, yes/? And that the earth for the indicators is the unit itself which earths to the sides of the headlamp holders?
thanks
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

The turn signals have only one wire, which is not color coded.
The turn signals are grounded by the mounting post.
The turn signal hot wire is B (black) with a male connector.

Two B/W (black with white stripe) wires with male connectors are attached to the headlight bucket mounting bolts.
Those are the grounds. They should connect to another B/W wire that has a double female connector.

The right turn signal B wire connects to a Lg (light green) wire.
The left turn signal B wire connects to a B (black) wire.

That leaves two unused wires that I can see.
One is the Y/G wire that is not used on the GT380. Make sure to cover that wire end with tape to prevent a future short.
The other is the orange wire near the bottom of your pic.

I see several orange wires connected together with a white twist-on wire connector. That connector is not stock.

I do not know where the other unused wire goes.
Test everything after you get the other wires connected & let us know the results.

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

jabcb wrote:The turn signals have only one wire, which is not color coded.
The turn signals are grounded by the mounting post.
The turn signal hot wire is B (black) with a male connector.

Two B/W (black with white stripe) wires with male connectors are attached to the headlight bucket mounting bolts.
Those are the grounds. They should connect to another B/W wire that has a double female connector.

The right turn signal B wire connects to a Lg (light green) wire.
The left turn signal B wire connects to a B (black) wire.

That leaves two unused wires that I can see.
One is the Y/G wire that is not used on the GT380. Make sure to cover that wire end with tape to prevent a future short.
The other is the orange wire near the bottom of your pic.

I see several orange wires connected together with a white twist-on wire connector. That connector is not stock.

I do not know where the other unused wire goes.
Test everything after you get the other wires connected & let us know the results.

Still confused so thought i would post a second picture, all i have managed to establish is that the horn is already working, regardless of the plate of spaghetti which is before us.
if it helps, i have three cables which i have no clue what they do (which are clearer in this pic) - red, green and brown. The orange is live when the ignition is switched on. If you also look v carefully at the top right hand corner of the picture you will see two cables (one ref and the second black which go straight to the clocks - could they be for the rev counter?)

I'm baffled by the indicators though even after following your instruction. It might be that i'm just thick, but thanks for your patience anyway

MJ in Beirut
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

If the indicators have two wires, one is ground and connects to the various other Black/White cables. The power side of the indicators connect to the solid black and the light green leads with female connectors. The leads on the indicators themselves are usually both black (so they could be used on either side of the bike. Light green is the right indicator and Black is the left one (not to the tacho).

Gray leads are instrument lighting.

Brown is empty but would go to a parking lamp if you had one in the headlight.

Red is only used in a stock harness to carry battery power to the main switch. Is there power to that lead and if so with ignition on or off or?

Solid/Dark Green is not used in a 380- unless it's light green in which case, it's the indicator.

There should be a second black and second light green that connect to either side of the indicator idiot light. If you fit LED indicators, you need to cut into those and fit diodes, but that's another story.
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

tz375 wrote:If the indicators have two wires, one is ground and connects to the various other Black/White cables. The power side of the indicators connect to the solid black and the light green leads with female connectors. The leads on the indicators themselves are usually both black (so they could be used on either side of the bike. Light green is the right indicator and Black is the left one (not to the tacho).

Gray leads are instrument lighting.

Brown is empty but would go to a parking lamp if you had one in the headlight.

Red is only used in a stock harness to carry battery power to the main switch. Is there power to that lead and if so with ignition on or off or?

Solid/Dark Green is not used in a 380- unless it's light green in which case, it's the indicator.

There should be a second black and second light green that connect to either side of the indicator idiot light. If you fit LED indicators, you need to cut into those and fit diodes, but that's another story.

What about those two skinny cables in the top right corner? Are they for the rev counter?
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Rev counter should have a light in it with two leads. Gray and black/white IIRC.

Those skinny leads do not look stock/oem. I would physically follow them back and see what they are connected to. Did domeone fit any non standard lights or instruments such as an electronic tacho for example? If not, there is no obvious reason for those two wires. As I said, I'd trace them back and see where they are connected. It's possible that they aren't connected to anything, but trace them anyway.
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

tz375 wrote:Rev counter should have a light in it with two leads. Gray and black/white IIRC.

Those skinny leads do not look stock/oem. I would physically follow them back and see what they are connected to. Did domeone fit any non standard lights or instruments such as an electronic tacho for example? If not, there is no obvious reason for those two wires. As I said, I'd trace them back and see where they are connected. It's possible that they aren't connected to anything, but trace them anyway.
they go back into the instrument cluster and so im guessing (hoping) that they are for an electronic tachometer as i can't remember ever seeing the original cable going in

But where/how would they be connected?
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

Electrical problems that are easy to figure out in person can be quite difficult to resolve via an online forum. That’s especially true when the wiring has been modified a bit.

Looks like you have two twist-on connectors that aren’t stock. Plus some thin wires that tz375 noticed. And some wires without connectors. And more female connectors than male connectors.

It likely will take lots of pics to sleuth out the solution. For a start, pics of the top & bottom of the instruements & pics of the connectors showing both sides.

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

In fact, i have fixed both the front indicators - based on the posts by kind members - but have now discovered that i have no spark.

Please have a look at the picture which i have posted here. I repositioned some plugs for the purpose of the pic. THere are three sockets hanging free.

Also, I would like to know if the engine can run if the kill switch connector is NOT connected. Please answer this just for my peace of mind.

thanks for all advice and patience

MJ in Beirut
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

No. Don't think of it as a "kill" switch like those fitted to many two strokes. Those ground out the ignition to kill it.

On a GT, the switch is a simple on-off as you can see in the wiring diagram. It must be clean and fitted for the bike to run.

Back to those wires. Is there an electronic tacho fitted at the moment? If so I would be tempted to remove it and any wires left over. Typically a tacho will have three wires: 12v switched power, ground and a pulse lead.
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

ok, but which one is the 'kill switch' socket supposed to connect to?

Any help appreciated.
Last edited by Ramjam on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.