Silkolene Castorene 40 wt.

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

gunauthor
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Silkolene Castorene 40 wt.

Post by gunauthor »

During my road racing years, I frequently used Castrol R (castor bean oil). It seemed to work well, but required throwing away pre-mix if it wasn't to be used within a couple of days and would drop out of suspension when the weather got cold. I recently got a quantity of Silkolene castor/synthetic oil and would like to use it for my return to the drag strip. Is this stuff any better than traditional bean oil and have a longer shelf life when mixed with racing gas? If you have some experience with this product, I'd like to hear from you.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Re: Silkolene Castorene 40 wt.

Post by rngdng »

To tell the truth, I have never heard of the Silkolene product. The castor-based oils have pretty-much disappeared. I have no idea, but thought someone should respond. Sorry.....

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
tz375
Moto GP

Re: Silkolene Castorene 40 wt.

Post by tz375 »

Pros:
Silkolene oils made by Fuchs - excellent oils. Used to use it all the time in our RS250 Cup bikes. Got it from http://www.Silkolenestore.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in Texas. Great people.

Castor is still the highest lubricity oil.

Cons:
Suzuki cranks not well suited to pre-mix even if slingers and main bearings are modified, but they can last 13 seconds or so.

Castor based oils tend to leave a sticky residue if left for any significant time. Not sure how much modern blends oxidize but it used to be a problem. I need to research that again.

Pre-mix of any sort goes off pretty quickly. Fuel loses its top ends (lighter fractions) and oil separates out. Best to use a small tank and mix only enough for the run/day. At the end of the weekend, drain all race gas and throw it in a can to be used in a farm truck, weedwacker or street (dirt) bike if you do enough street miles and flush it through after use.

YMMV