New Member From Arizona

Interesting stories of you and a Suzuki you have owned.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Desert_75
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75GT750, '79CX500, '08ZX-14

New Member From Arizona

Post by Desert_75 »

Hello!
Been lurking on this forum for the past few months, absorbing all of the knowledge that's offered here. I live near Phoenix, Arizona and have always wanted a two stroke street bike. Problem is up until about 6 months ago, emission laws wouldn't have allowed me to own a smoker. Fortunately, those were lifted and I came across a '75 GT750 "basketcase". It was originally a Florida bike, and was leaned up outside against a house for about ten years (very rusty). Made a deal with the dude and brought it home.

Bike turned over freely, had good compression and actually ran on starting fluid, so disassembly began.

- Removed SRIS valves, drained the oil out.
- Removed the exhaust, drained a few quarts of oil out (no joke, couldn't believe it)
- Rebuilt the carbs, mass amounts of sludge and corrosion inside
- Rebuilt the front brakes, master cylinder, forks and painted
- Rebuilt fuel petcock, cleaned out tank, brazed pinholes and lined with POR-15 Tank Liner
- Air Box was MIA, so UNI pods went on and upped the jets 2 sizes
- New Tires
- New DCC Superbike bars
- New Clutch Lever
- Neutral Switch received new O-rings
- Water pump received new O-rings (slid right out, minimal force, surprised after reading the horror stories)
- Lowered the gauge assembly a few inches
- Tested oil pump, worked fine
- New plugs

Threw some fuel in there and the bike fired right up! Once warm smoke stopped and went on its first ride. Being my first smoker, that sound was addicting. Less than 12K original miles.

Future plans, nothing major I can't reverse back to stock but the rear fender's already off. Had to chop the front fender due to rust. Can't post pics because "board attachment quota has been reached". BTW this site is awesome, keep up the good work and please forgive my stupid future questions!

Desert_75
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75GT750, '79CX500, '08ZX-14

Re: New Member From Arizona

Post by Desert_75 »

Here's my KZ and CX. I wanted a cafe style bike but also the ability to ride fast so I put together this KZ1000. The CX is the wife's bike, basically a resto with mild custom touches. Love riding old bikes!

tz375
Moto GP

Re: New Member From Arizona

Post by tz375 »

Welcome. Nice looking 76 A model and the same color as my last one.