Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

I have just completed the purchase of a Seeley replica frame for my next project. I will be going up to Peterborough on Friday to collect it. Kit is made up of Frame, Swinging Arm, Rear Wheel Adjusters, Engine Mounting Plates and head stock bearings. I would not be too surprised to find I'm seduced into obtaining some other bits at the same time :lol: .

The aim of the project is to have a good time developing and assembling a light weight, fine handling, fast road bike with a Suzuki GT500 based engine. I will be leaning towards using contemporary running parts such as forks, brakes etc. I want to use an alloy tank rather than a glass-fibre option so will have to do some research where that might be procured from (I know about "The Tank Shop"). As for body work I haven't a clue as yet but getting the styling right will be important.

The engine will come from a GT500 I bought a few years ago and will of course not need the oil dam mod because it will already be there. I intend to start from just the crankcases but development will hopefully include:

Straight cut Primary Gears
Centre Plug Heads
C/R gear box internals
Self generating ignition (I won't be fitting lights)
Pipes to suit
New carbs (make and model tbd)

If anybody has any of those parts or a lead on their availability I would be happy to here from them. I want to do all the engine preparation myself but expect to be looking for lots of advice as development progresses.

It will not be an instant build as progress will depend on decisions, funds and parts. I intend to get the maximum enjoyment out of this project so don't want it to be completed too soon :D . I'll post some photos of the frame kit on friday when it is back in my workshop.

Cheers for now

Zunspec
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: Seeley (replica) Framed Project Road Racer

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Looking forward to seeing how this evolves ! :up:
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

oldjapanesebikes wrote:Looking forward to seeing how this evolves ! :up:
+1 :up:
the older i get the faster i was
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

Count me in......
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi Titan,

I have no doubt I might be seeking some of your products (and also picking your brains :D ) over the coming months.

Cheers Zunspec
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Are we going to be seeing something like this ? viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2065" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hello S/dave,

Something in that direction, although sans dry clutch (unless someone offers one at a good price). The hi/low level pipes are not to my intentions either, probably going for some that are under-slung and exit each side. Who knows though, the frame is the start and first phase will be get it up on it's wheels and sort forks/chain alignment/brakes etc.

I have just been looking at some wicked r/sets at sensible prices from Thailand on eBay. Much of the fun is in the window shopping and planning what to go for. As this will be my biking Opus Magnus I want to make sure what is finally turned out is a harmonious whole, not a frame with all sorts of stuff bolted on (the road to hell is paved with best intentions :lol: ).

Probably going for a simple top half fairing and fancy digi instrument cluster. I shall spend next week just looking at the frame and daydreaming for a while. It won't be a fast build and I am fully open to suggestions, advice and piss-taking :D :D :D .

Cheers Geoff (trying to wipe a dirty great smile off his face)
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

I fetched the frame from Peterborough today. Spent a bunch of time looking at all the goodies Pete can provide and discussing the way ahead on the project. Now I have to digest all the pros and cons and options before setting some sort of course of action (he had a 500 engine with a set of reed valves fitted Hmmmmm...). Here is the frame back in the workshop:

I also succumbed to the billet yolks :D

Cheers Zunspec
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Well, I have decided the Seeley frame would be wasted as a street bike so I have decided to have a go with the Classic Racing M/C in the air cooled 500 class, stupid or what :lol: .

Anyway I have bought a period Mk3 Seeley alloy tank and a set of bling rear shocks from a CRMC member, result. These are the shocks:

I have also contacted Maxton who make a set of period looking Ceriani forks with modern cartridge internals and sliders machined from billet, a tasty price but....... I might order a set tomorrow:

I will pick up the tank and shocks at the forthcoming CRMC at Silverstone so will post some new photos shortly thereafter.

Cheers Zunspec
CJF
To the on ramp

Post by CJF »

That frame is like eye candy...don't paint it!! The yokes look sweet as well. Looks like this one is going to be a high budget build with the parts you have lined up. Don't make the same mistake I made building a racer and then wanting to ride it on the street...having to retro fit electrics later. You may end up putting all the money and time into it and then realizing the only time you can ride it is when you go to the track....which in my case wouldn't be often enough because I love the bike. Just my 2 cents.

Not sure if you are aware of this guy, but he can hook you up with the gears and primary...http://www.mpe07.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I'd go with Swarbrick pipes. Also, check out http://www.motobits.com/varset.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a set of very nice, adjustable rear sets. He sells a basic kit without mounting plates for I think around $125 USD. Should be better for you with currency conversion. you can make up simple mounting plates with a jig saw, file and drill using aluminum plate.

Good luck with the build...will be watching.
Chris

'76 TR500 Style Cafe
'75 T500 - Cafe Build Underway
'78 Honda CB 750 Super Sport
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi Chris,

I have since decided that it would be a bit of a waste to make a road bike of the Seeley frame, so I'm going racing again next year with the CRMC :twisted: . At my age perhaps I should know better but I can still see and have a few teeth left so damn it, why not.

I have bought the Maxton forks, they arrive on Monday :D . They will be twisted by these little numbers, a set of clip-ons from a company called MAXON (not to be confused with Maxton):

I cleared some space in the workshop today by returning this old piece of ironmongery to it's owner after getting it running again for them:

Thanks for the links BTW, I am still pondering the conversion of the GT500 engine I have to racing spec. NOVA also do c/r g/box conversions and are also soon to be producing a 6-speed number (@ £2500 ish)

You are correct in saying a "high budget build" I am already into it to the tune £4k and have a growing wish list which is well over £3k. I would not contemplate such profligacy normally but I have just received my share of my late Mothers estate and I know she would approve (or at least tolerate her son's wanton ways, good'ol Mum)

I'll keep the forum posted of my tomfoolery as the project progresses.

Cheers Geoff
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

The new Maxton Ceriani replica forks arrived today. Old style fork legs filled with modern Maxton internals, a very fine piece of engineering

I'm getting inspired.

Cheers Geoff
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Purdy :D :up: Have you decided what color you are going to paint the frame ?
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Suzukidave wrote:Purdy :D :up: Have you decided what color you are going to paint the frame ?
Not sure yet Suzuki-D. I was thinking along the lines of a Black, Red or silver (grey).

My friends little daughter thinks it should all be done in Pink, including the riders leathers. Not sure I'm up for such a bold statement :lol: .

Cheers Geoff
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

The silver ( gray ) frames do look good :up: .