Suzuki GT 250 Cafe Project

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Pacificmuscle
Still in the Driveway

Suzuki GT 250 Cafe Project

Post by Pacificmuscle »

Greeting all

By way of introduction I'm in Sydney Australia and am setting out on a mild Cafe Racerization of a very nice, complete and original 1974 GT250.

The bike is so nice that I'm limiting my mods to those that can be reverted should I want to go back to original.

So seat, ace bars, headlamp, indicators, pods and battery eliminator are on the card.

I'm following a basket case on local Ebay that, if it stays in budget will give me wheels to be powdercoated and a rear guard to bob. Maybe even a working coil.We'll see how that goes.

I'd like to find a high line exhaust from a tt250 but am not holding my breath that a set will come up.

Here's the bike ... imported from the US by previous owner.

It's not running but I was assured that only a dead coil stands in the way. Not easy to find but I've followed up some of the suggestions on this forum.

My other project is a KZ 1000 Cafe ... again able to be returned to std. Also a US import and came with fairing etc to recreate the 'Goose' bike from Mad Max.

Cheers

Pete
tz375
Moto GP

Re: Suzuki GT 250 Cafe Project

Post by tz375 »

G'day Pete, That's a sweet little 250. And a Goose MFP bike is too funny. The fairings for those were made by Bertrand Cadart (sp?) at la Parisienne. At one point I had the Superfrog show fairing in my shed. Don't recall who I sold it to though.

One of my sons had an RG250 for a while when we lived in Carlton. That was long time ago. :wth:

Welcome
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Agree with Pedro.

Very few original GT250s are that nice. Would be a shame to intentionally reduce the count by one.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Allan k
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT125 SV650 GT550

Post by Allan k »

Please dont touch that gt 250... Its just like new to me. As mentioned, it really Would destroy the value of it.

Imo
2-strokes are full of speed,
4-strokes are full of parts!
Pacificmuscle
Still in the Driveway

Post by Pacificmuscle »

Fear not gents !

Having had a good look over the bike I agree that it is too good to hack up.

That said I am going ahead with my planned mods but be assured that NOTHING will be done that cannot be reversed. I have picked up a basket case GT250 that will provide parts that are to be altered or painted. I am carefully storing the original parts so that either I or the next owner can choose to return it to original.

Here's the donor ... well beyond economic restoration.

I'll be using wheels (painted black) fenders (painted black) tank and sidecovers. Might even have a working coil. It was last on the road in 1988 and looks like it's been outside ever since.

Pete
elbert
On the main road

Post by elbert »

If you´re going for painted fenders you should get a rear fender from a 74 TS185, it is made of plastic, looks the same and will save weight... Not 100% sure if the year was 74, so check pictures carefully if you´re getting it from ebay.