Analog Electronic Ignition

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: Analog Electronic Ignition

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

iceman_ca wrote:Any word on the Accent kit. Did it install easily or have you made it that far yet
Will actually be doing that either later today or more probably tomorrow. Note that the Accent kits aren't exactly new so its not like I'm taking any risk here - they have been used extensively in Germany and several folks on other boards are pretty pleased with them. They just aren't well known on English language boards. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

Installed, and started first time on the button ! :D Very easy - about 30 minutes start to finish and the kit includes the three stainless steel cap bolts required to fix it. I like how tidy it is - no control boxes to have to hide somewhere. The circuit includes an LED (the small red dot toward the middle of the board) for static timing - when it lights, just have the centre 'C' timing mark on the three armed indicator aligned with the timing mark. With the engine running it can then be strobed to dial it in. The only change I made was to install the grommet on the lead where it passes through the side case (see lower photo) . So far so good ! 8)

Ian

two-stroke-brit
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt750

Post by two-stroke-brit »

very tidy ian and i am with you on the control box issue. :up:
mark
She will never be pretty but hoping she will be a fun ride.

1973 SUZUKI GT750K.=SOLD
yamaha speedtwinn 100 barn find =SOLD
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (restored)
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (basket case) =SOLD
1982 HONDA CB900F =SOLD
1982 YAMAHA RD350LC.
1985 RZ350N
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Looks to be a winner.

I'm a fan of the Oregon Motorcycle Parts rectifier & voltage regulator for the same reason. They are installed where the original parts were, and no modifications are required.

What does it look like from the other side? Any risk of cracking it if you overtighten the bolts?

Do you know how long these Accent kits have been around?
Any thoughts about long term reliability on the German language boards?

How much is it & how do you purchase it from the US & Canada?
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

jabcb wrote:What does it look like from the other side? Any risk of cracking it if you overtighten the bolts?
Its just a standard layered PCB with grounding plates/foil at each of the slotted mount holes - so yes, you could crack it I suppose but the risk would be the same as with the Boyer which actually looks flimsier. I had wondered about the possibility of fatigue cracks but now that I've actually seen one, I don't think it should be an issue as the disc diameter is a perfect fit exactly matching the original points plate diameter so it is well secured. Time will tell. The component and obverse sides have been sprayed with epoxy, so it should have reasonable moisture protection - certainly better than the original points :D
jabcb wrote:Do you know how long these Accent kits have been around? Any thoughts about long term reliability on the German language boards?

The company has sold more than 1600 ELZ2Coils for the Honda CB750, about a 100 for the Kawasaki Z series (600/900/1000), and more than 130 for the GT750/GT380 - so about 1800 or 1900 units in total. Not huge numbers compared to some of the other options perhaps, but it is a niche market and unless you know about it, this one is not easy to find compared to others.

Martin Krause of the German Wasserbuffel club has commented on the GT750 version on other boards. He replaced his Newtronics systems with these ELZ3Coil units about 3 years ago on his touring and racing GT750's and seems happy with them.
jabcb wrote:How much is it & how do you purchase it from the US & Canada?
I bought it directly from Accent Electronics in Germany - direct email to the owner Uwe Gottwald (uwe.gottwald@accent-electronic.com) who is located just outside of Hanover. His web site is located here. I bought two kits at €135 each (so about $200 each in USD) plus shipping and Paypal charges. As I think I mentioned previously, I just wanted something fully contained with minimum installation fuss, and the tidiness of this design appealed to me. I freely admit that I personally don't ride enough to even come close to justifying the cost of changing out points for this or any other electronic ignition system - for me its just a curiosity factor and something to play with. 8)
Ian

iceman_ca
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: rz350;cb750ss;gt750

Post by iceman_ca »

Well looks like I will order one. Just got an email back 130 Euro..not to bad for a nice clean installation
smoketriples
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Post by smoketriples »

I just wrote Herr Gottwold as well. I need two kits but going to start with just one since I'm involved in a full engine rebuild on #2 and can put of that expense for a couple of months :).
Smoketriples
current stable:
'75 Zooki GT750 (rider)
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

iceman_ca wrote:Any word on the Accent kit. Did it install easily or have you made it that far yet
I just installed one on my GT380. It is exceedingly easy to install. 10 minutes to install and and set static timing.
johnakay
I likes them jubblies
Suzuki 2-Strokes: bike

Post by johnakay »

for a start boyer does not make any iggys for the Suzuki twins have not done for years. think I was the last one to buy one off them.
this is what it says on their web....
BOX00020 IGN/ BOX SUZUKI GT250/T500 - DISCONTINUED
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership