Baffled

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Mightyzod
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 11 Suzukis, Currently 74 GT750, 01 GSF 1200

Baffled

Post by Mightyzod »

I am sure that the info is on the site already, but how about a few tips on removing the baffles. My 1974 GT 750 is coming along OK, if I can just stop breaking stuff. The new pston/rings are in and the head is torqued to specs. I have had the baffles soaking in PB Blaster since the beginning (almost 4 weeks) and they won't budge. Broke one of the small bars on one of the big pipes, so I figured talk to the experts. I have heard of heating them, but not sure if that would be a good idea with me handling the torch.

As always, all help is appreciated.
MZ
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Re: Baffled

Post by Coyote »

Had a time with my 750 when I had it. I don't think heat will do you any good. Finally for them out with a cheap slide hammer from Harbor Freight. Still a chore though. If you can get the to move at all, knock them back in. Use the slide hammer again and repeat the process. Each time you knock them back in, the slide hammer will yank them out a little further.
To start with though, see if you can get a pair of small vice grips in the cross pin. Straddle the vice grips with a large crescent wrench and try to turn them while pulling on the whole apparatus.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
Madbuffalo
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Re: Baffled

Post by Madbuffalo »

Yep, turning the baffles back and forth if you're able usually does a lot of good. If the little metal rod is missing you could try a straightened coat hanger with a hook bent in the end, it worked for mine.
No really... it's supposed to smoke.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
1975 Suzuki GT750 Waterbuffalo
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs