T500 Leak Down Testing and Bad Results

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

smoker
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500 Titan

T500 Leak Down Testing and Bad Results

Post by smoker »

Hello All - I have recently replaced the crank seals and resealed the case halves with 3bond 1211 on my '71 Titan. Before reassembling the entire motor I attempted to leak down test. I have performed this on various single cylinder mx bikes in the past so I have the equipment and some knowledge. Plugged intake and exhaust with expansion plugs, blocked oil intake lines with screws and o-rings. The left side checks ok at 6-8 pounds but right is losing air immediately (also at 6-8 lbs.). The crank seal seems to be ok, no soap bubbles. The air seems to be escaping from somewhere back farther to the transmission. I read after assembly (of course) that the center bearing is lubed with transmission oil. If this is correct, from my failed leak test is it safe to assume I have a case leak between the transfer and transmission sealing area or a bad center seal? Totally overlooked replacing this as it did not come with my seal and gasket kit and I was not aware of how it was lubed. It seems odd to lose air this rapidly from either source but I leave this to the experts - please advise, oh wise ones...
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Re: T500 Leak Down Testing and Bad Results

Post by Coyote »

I am surprised, almost shocked that you have not gotten any response in this amount of time. I wish I could help, but about all I know about a T500 is it's a twin.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
parksie
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki t500 69,71,73, Gt500 76

Post by parksie »

You're right in assuming that it's either the center bearing seals or a case leak. Which ever you are going to have to pull it apart again. When you have it apart spin the centre bearing and see if there is any resistance, it should have some resistance if the seals are still Ok. To loose pressure that quickly I would look at the sealing in the crankcase or even the Orings around the centre bearing, you may have pinched them when you put it back together.
And yes the centre bearing is loobed by the transmission oil. When putting it all back together make sure that you don't block the lube path for the centre bearing with 3bond.
1969 T500
1973 T500
1971 T500 (being restored)
1976 GT500 (being restored)
2012 Ninja 650
smoker
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500 Titan

Post by smoker »

Thanks. I have kind of resigned myself to it being the center seal and since I am opening her back up I intend to replace it regardless of what I find. Coyote - I had assumed the delay was due to this being a dumb question! Denial will do that to a person :roll: Any recommendations on who to perform the crank work would be greatly appreciated.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

As you are based in the States, try Bill Bune (http://www.billbune.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) . A number of folks have used him and seemed happy with the results. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !