carb removal for a 73 gt550

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

MikGsxr
On the main road

carb removal for a 73 gt550

Post by MikGsxr »

Hello again, I know I ask a million questions on here but as a newb to 2 strokes and classics, I know nothing. I have to take the carbs off the indy to get them clean as it won't start and notice that they are three seperate carbs. this makes things easier but I noticed this cable sticking out the top, see pic
IMG_20120306_161354.jpg
(throttle cable?). how is it removed? i can't find any detailed instructions for these carbs, unless someone has a link?

thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tz375
Moto GP

Re: carb removal for a 73 gt550

Post by tz375 »

I know nothing about GT550s but doesn't the top of the carb just unscrew like most VM Mikunis, or did I miss something in that picture?

Choke cable comes out when you undo the 12mm nut and allow the choke plunger to come out slowly so it doesn't shoot across the room ads it slips off the cable.
MikGsxr
On the main road

Post by MikGsxr »

is that the choke cable? (the one at the top centre of pic). so just loosen the nut and pull it out slowly? does it slide back in easily for reassembly?
thanks!
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

The one with the brass nut is the choke, or more accurately the enrichment device. A choke restricts air flow and this one allows more fuel in. Same effect, different approach.

The cable has a round nipple on the end and it slides into the plunger. When you remove the cable, sometimes the plunger is stuck in place and sometimes it starts to come out and the nipple slides out and parts fly in every direction. It's not complicated or difficult to reassemble.
MikGsxr
On the main road

Post by MikGsxr »

righto, thanks for that, will try and remove tonight