T500 Clutch Removal - Help

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

T500 Clutch Removal - Help

Post by ConnerVT »

I've been moving right along, disassembling my '71 T500 with the goal of having back on the road by July 4. Things have been smooth, up until now.

I've been tearing down the engine, so I can get the case downstairs to the bench to split the case, and get the crankshaft off for rebuild. Even after sitting 15 years, I've been able to get every fastener off but one -- the Clutch Sleeve Hub Nut.

I have definitely folded back the two places the retaining washer was locking it in place. I don't have Suzuki's special hub wrench to hold the hub, but have been doing well holding it in place with the transmission in gear, and the rear brake locked down (plan is to replace both sprockets and chain anyway).

But for the life of me, I can't get that nut to break free. Is it normal for it to be so tight? Or is there some super secret password you guys haven't told me?

Advice is welcomed. Thanks.
ConnerVT
Novice racer

Re: T500 Clutch Removal - Help

Post by ConnerVT »

Pedro, thanks for the ideas. Some I had come across here, but I really liked the idea of bolting a pair of clutch plates together. That's a cheap/easy specialty tool!

My problem is not so much getting the shaft locked up so it doesn't move. Rather, the nut just seems *extremely* tight. I learned long ago that if something doesn't want to come apart, you should stop, and look for a reason why.

Has anyone else seen this nut extraordinarily unwilling to loosen? The front sprocket nut came loose much easier, but that may have been removed before in the bike's 40+ year life.

Another observation - the clutch sleeve nut feels a bit loose in my 32mm socket. You wouldn't think some fool went and put a 1 1/4" nut in its place?
ConnerVT
Novice racer

Re: T500 Clutch Removal - Help

Post by ConnerVT »

Sucess. 18" of well torqued breaker bar and a 16 oz mallet convinced the nut to come free. :up:

I hate using tools on tools. :cry:

I've hit the mark I've been aiming for -- getting the engine downstairs on my bench, where it is much warmer than in my cramped garage. I can work at the bench for the next month, until things start warming up outside. Start tearing the engine down this week, and hope to have the crankshaft packed up to ship by Monday.
Sundial_no_engine.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.