gt550 makes clicking noise when pushing starter button?

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

MikGsxr
On the main road

gt550 makes clicking noise when pushing starter button?

Post by MikGsxr »

Finally got the bikes from the import yard. cleaned them up and tried starting them but no go. the titan is just being stubborn, sounds like it will go but won't. the gt550 kick starter smacks against the exhaust so that is not an option and i have hooked the battery up to a wall charger and it just makes a weird ticking noise when trying to start it. starter motor shot?
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: gt550 makes clicking noise when pushing starter button?

Post by jabcb »

Is the ticking noise coming from the starter solenoid? Could be the battery. Make sure the battery has enough water if its the type you add water to. Then completely recharge the battery before trying again.

One of my GT750s had an older battery that wouldn't start the bike even when recharged. Installed a new battery & it starts without problems.

Doesn't the footrest bracket have a tab thats stops the kick starter before it hits the exhaust?
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
MikGsxr
On the main road

Post by MikGsxr »

Thanks Jacob, I will get a new battery tomorrow and give it a try. the previous owner did say this battery was cactus and it has been sitting on a ship for 6 weeks (imported both bikes from the states).
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

If the 550 is pre 76, it's most likely the starter clutch is shot (exploded). The early 550's were notorious for the starter clutches coming from together.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
MikGsxr
On the main road

Post by MikGsxr »

new battery made a big difference. we now have starter turning and a spark. plugs need to be replaced and the carbs need a cleaning. that should be all it needs. will concentrate on getting the titan going now as I know this bike only needs minor stuff.