Buffalo front sprocket - questions

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Buffalo front sprocket - questions

Post by MikeH1A »

Hi Team,

I have just fit a standard new front sprocket, washer and nut on the J Buffalo. I have two questions please:

a) What is the best way to ensure the nut is tightened to the correct level? Do I put the bike in gear and then tighten or wait till the chain is fitted and then tighten or ...?

b) In terms of the washer behind the central nut, do I bend this over to trap/lock the nut or just leave as is? If I bend it , what is the best way to do this without attacking things with chisels and hammers? Pic below:

Many thanks, Mike
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
tz375
Moto GP

Re: Buffalo front sprocket - questions

Post by tz375 »

Mike, there are two ways to do that. use a large screwdriver or similar to jam between sprocket and cases or fit a chain and hold it on the brake. or try a clutch holding tool to restrain the sprocket. Or make up a simple sprocket holding tool with two 1/4" pegs.

That washer is a lock/tab washer and part of it has to be bent up against one face of the nut. It's a little tricky so use a stiff knife or knife from the good dining set to start it and then use channel locks or a crescent wrench to squeeze it against the nut.
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

Awesome, thanks for the answers. Wife is going out Friday night so the dinner set knife it is :ssh: :wink:
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
TLRam1
Road race school

Post by TLRam1 »

I use a screwdriver and controlled hammering for the washer, a little finesse and you will have it down perfect.
Terry

Maybe poker's not your game, Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest~

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 97 & 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 01 Yamaha WR250F / 03 Yamaha TTR 125L