first two stroke- what do I check first when it arrives?

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

MikGsxr
On the main road

first two stroke- what do I check first when it arrives?

Post by MikGsxr »

Got my first 2 stroke bike coming on the ship- a 73 GT550. It apparently runs well and was used as a regular rider until Nov. then it was parked up and now sold to me.

What are the first things you would do when you buy a bike like this? if someone could give me a few tips on the 5 most important things to check/replace etc that would be much appreciated. apparently the tyres are new and the front brakes are good from what the seller told me.

Thanks!
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Re: first two stroke- what do I check first when it arrives?

Post by Suzukidave »

Welcome to the group Mike , well you are in luck if your new smoker has been in regular use but it is still a safe thing to check over the normal bike stuff as you would on your GSXR . Plus you will need to be sure its topped up on the 2 stroke items like injector oil and a tranny check to make sure it has the required amount and its fresh . Plugs ... if they have been in the engine for a while it wouldnt hurt to put in a fresh set just for peace of mind . A check of the air filter would also be good as we have seen all sorts of cleaver critters making a home in air boxes . When you get your 550 post up a picture so we can see what you have :up: .
Last edited by Suzukidave on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
the older i get the faster i was
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Other folks will chip in with things like oil and maintenance items - my offering would be to take a look through the service bulletins first just to see what things the factory thought needed fixing so that when checking it over you have some things to focus on. You can find most of them at this link (on that page, additional ones are available via the link at the top right corner):

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_G ... etins.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On that model, two things to perhaps be aware of are the starter clutch design was weak, and likewise the gudgeon pins. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
MikGsxr
On the main road

Post by MikGsxr »

Thanks guys, sounds good. the three things I know it needs: a battery, exhaust coupling repair and rear brake shoes. Will change the tranny oil first up, clean the air box/filter and change the plugs. hopefully it starts right up, it has not been run since nov and will be on a boat for 4 weeks this month.

anything special I should do before starting it up after it sitting for a few months? will the clutch or engine have frozen in that amount of time? my mechanical abilities are limited to the stuff I am doing above so if it needs clutch or engine work I will be in trouble! :)
MikGsxr
On the main road

Post by MikGsxr »

forgot to add, I happen to know the person that owned this bike before the current owner I bought it off and he said the clutch slips at high revs- how can I fix that? I have seen clutch baskets already packed with plates on ebay for $48.
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by rbond »

As to clutch slipping, pull it out and replace the friction plates and new springs. while apart check the metal plates for warping and signs of 'burning'. That is, any discoloration or scrapes on what should be a flat clean surface. Readjust the throwout screw (dis-assemble and regrease) and cables per a shopbook. Check the large nut on the crankshaft to be sure it is tight, I had a loose one on my GT500, making it rattle slightly at idle. It usually is the clutch nut that gets loose, mine was not this time. This is a relatively simple repair/ adjustment that anyone can do. If you do not have a shop book, either get one or check with ozebook website for one. Most of the info you need will be in it, the rest on this board and ozebook's. Enjoy the ride!!!
MikGsxr
On the main road

Post by MikGsxr »

rbond- thanks for that, I will get a shopbook, sounds like a good purchase.