Side Cover Repair

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Side Cover Repair

Post by Coyote »

! have a side cover that is cracked on the tab that accepts the screw. I tried to repair it once with super glue but it didn't hold. The hole itself in not cracked but the part that encompasses it is. About half way around the hole. What' my best shot at fixing it? It's a 74-77 380/550 cover. The plastic seems to be impervious to everything.
Last edited by Coyote on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
merckid
Around the block

Re: Side Cover Repair

Post by merckid »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-74-GT-55 ... 35b7a438a6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just buy this one, its cheap and in good shape. it will save you the hassel of trying to fix yours over and over again
Coyote
Moto GP

Post by Coyote »

I screwed up. It's the left side.

1978 GS1000C
Wingspan
On the main road

Post by Wingspan »

I've never had luck gluing cracks together. I used to ride with a guy who ran a business repairing fairings and he taught me a different technique that has really worked well for me on several bikes. He used a plastic welder, but I've had the same results with just a soldering iron.

Here were the cracks I had in my T500 side cover:

The first step is to get some screen material from the hardware store. Lay the mesh over the damaged area on the INSIDE of the panel then lightly press against it with a hot soldering iron. The mesh will sink into the plastic and provide a great deal of reinforcement. Here's a pic of a piece of the screen material and you can see where I've already melted a square into the cover:

Once you've reinforced the crack, use the soldering iron to "weld" the crack together on the outside of the panel. If you have any scrap fairing pieces around you can use the material as a "welding rod" to fill the crack and damage. Weld, sand, repeat until you've closed up the crack and have the panel ready for prime and paint. These pics are of the repair in progress, I forgot to take a pic of the completed repair prior to primer.

A few years ago I picked a fight with the rear end of a pickup truck while on my VFR750...I lost:

Repairs in progress using the previously described method:

Finished repair in primer:

Completed repair:

Coyote
Moto GP

Post by Coyote »

Wingspan. I appreciate the photo essay. Seems like you had that posted once before. Man I wish I could post photos now that my very usable web space is gone. I joined Photobucket but I have yet to figure out how to use it. I have tried several times, but all I get is a little square box. I'm not talking about the typical black box with the red X in it. This is very different. It's small, square and looks like hieroglyphics. Any pointers?.

1978 GS1000C
Wingspan
On the main road

Post by Wingspan »

I've never used photobucket. I keep my stuff on Smugmug.
TLRam1
Road race school

Post by TLRam1 »

Chris,

Run your cursor over the photo you want to post up, a box appears under your photo with link options, Click the Words or Link IMG CODE, paste that link in the message box (where you reply) on the forum and you should be good to go.

As a test you can paste each link on the forum and you will see what each link does.

Terry

Maybe poker's not your game, Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest~

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 97 & 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 01 Yamaha WR250F / 03 Yamaha TTR 125L
djfisher22
To the on ramp

Post by djfisher22 »

I fixed the fairing on my ZRX with plain old ABS cement you'd use for plumbing. V out the crack a bit and brush on cement. That fiberglass screen would probably be good insurance too.
2000 ZRX (the green ones are fastest)
72 GT750 (almost done)
73 RV 125
72 RV 90 X 2
Now proudly displaying membership number 91 in the Ugly Fat Old Bastards Motorcycle Club.

http://www.ozebook.com/cpotw/documents/register.html
Buffalo-guy
To the on ramp

Post by Buffalo-guy »

Hey Chris.
The best plastic fix material I've found, is Devcon Plastic Weld. Available at most auto part stores. It's a two part epoxy material, but made specifically for plastic. The stuff I've used it on, has stayed fixed. Cheers.
Fred
Suzuki GT 750s
Ducati 750 GTs
2007 Duc 1000 GT (the clone)
2002 V Strom 1000 (lives again)
Suzuki RE5s
CBXs (18 cylinders, 72 valves)
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

I found this useful - and also have found the tie wrap trick actually seems to work 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7GRNvPSf7k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !