Splitting T500 Crankcases

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Stan
On the street

Splitting T500 Crankcases

Post by Stan »

Hi, folks. I am a new member of this forum, but had been a member of the previous forum some few years ago. I have read Rick's and Ringding's comments for years. I have owned a '72 T500J since '74, put some miles on it, then turned it over to my son three years ago. He ran it well. Now, however, we have a problem.

We blew an inner crank seal and have pulled the engine. We intend to split the crankcase halves, remove the crank, and get new seals pressed on. Unfortunately, I cannot get the crankcases apart! I believe I have removed all of the bolts, both upper and lower, removed the side cases, removed the small screws on the gear plate, removed everything that I can see that may be holding the cases together. I tapped the cases to split them, then tapped them harder, then tapped them firmly, all to no avail.

I suspect I am missing something in splitting the cases. I wold appreciate any counsel or resources that will help me with this issue. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

STAN
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Re: Splitting T500 Crankcases

Post by titan performance »

Have you removed the clutch Stan? If not, do so. There's a crescent shaped plate beside the clutch shaft bearing which joins both halves.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
Stan
On the street

Post by Stan »

Thanks, Titan. I just pulled the clutch and removed the screw holding the crescent-shaped plate. I am now making some progress in the rear of the cases, not so much in the front. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

STAN
titan performance
Expert racer

OK...what about the seal retaining plate behind the front sprocket, and the generator?
Stan
On the street

Post by Stan »

Thank you again, Titan. Got it.

I do so like learning from the experience of others. I appreciate your help. No doubt I will be back with other questions.

Regards.

STAN
titan performance
Expert racer

Are you in 2 halves now Stan?
Stan
On the street

Post by Stan »

Well, Titan, I don't know if I would put it liked that, but yes, I managed to split the crankcase, pulled the crank, and have it at the shop to get the new seals pressed on. All with your help!

Again, I appreciate your help.

STAN
titan performance
Expert racer

That's what forums are about......glad to have been of assistance. Maybe somewhere down the line we can get a picture of your 500 into our media gallery?

http://www.classic2strokesuzuki.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.