HELP! Clutch Push Rod

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

kadavenport
On the street

HELP! Clutch Push Rod

Post by kadavenport »

I bought a GT550 a couple of months ago. The other day my chain broke tearing up the side case and the clutch push rod. I was able to source parts, but when I tried to install the push rod, it only went into the seal about half to three quarters an inch. Could the other push rod be stuck? I removed the clutch basket prior to tying to install the push rod. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Kyle D.
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Re: HELP! Clutch Push Rod

Post by Coyote »

The other rod may have bent slightly from the impact. I assume you are putting the new rod in from the left. On the clutch side, can you see the other rod? Can you pull it out? If you can't see it it's jammed in there. Go to the hardware store and buy a slightly smaller rod and see if you can drive it out. Don't get crazy though. Are you sure the seal is square?
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
kadavenport
On the street

Post by kadavenport »

It looks like the seal is square. I can't see it from the clutch side, and tried the smaller rod approach as well. Its not budging. I'm thinking this means splitting the cases and possible getting some replacement trans parts. Is that my only option? I guess if i go that route is there any upgrades I should do while I'm in there? Also, are gasket kits still readily available, and do they come with all gaskets and O-rings? I know some of the seals are no longer available. Thanks for the help.
Kyle D.
Coyote
Moto GP

Post by Coyote »

Did you ever get it out?

1978 GS1000C
kadavenport
On the street

Post by kadavenport »

No I wasn't able to get it out, I went ahead and bought a seal kit, a new clutch push rod, push rod actuator, and transmission. Now I just need to find time to split the cases.
Kyle D.
Coyote
Moto GP

Post by Coyote »

New chain and sprockets of course. Don't cheap out on the chain. You see how much can happen when they break. :shock:

1978 GS1000C
kadavenport
On the street

Post by kadavenport »

Yeah lesson learned. Bout to kick off a search for sprocket sizes on the site, thinking about going up a tooth on the rear for some extra low end grunt.
Kyle D.