Help! I've been trying to bleed my GT750 brakes for 4 weeks

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

n8balls
On the street

Help! I've been trying to bleed my GT750 brakes for 4 weeks

Post by n8balls »

Hi guys

I would have expected to have my bike registered and on the road by now but I have struck a problem – I just can’t get my brake lever firm...

When I got the bike (GT750A), the old master cylinder was seized so I bought a new master cylinder for a GS750. After bleeding, the lever was quite spongy and I need to get it firm in order to pass the road worthiness inspection for registration.

In the past 4 weeks I have tried the following:

• Replaced all brake lines because I suspected they may have lost their rigidity
• Disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt the callipers with new seals (just in case there was something spongy lurking in there, there wasn’t :? ).
• Tried reverse bleeding – pushing fluid with syringe from the callipers up
• Vacuum bleeding with vac bleeder kit
• Bleeding at all points - the M/C, then top of the Y piece, then bottom of the Y piece, then callipers and then the bleed points
• Zip tying up over night
• Tapping the lines, t-piece, callipers with a rubber mallet to persuade stubborn bubbles to rise
• I also put stock bars back on - it had drag bars which meant the top brake line had a high point before the M/C that could trap air

The only other thing I can think of is if air is trapped in the high point of the lower brake lines...
highpoint.JPG
Or could a stubborn bubble be trapped in the Y piece?

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated because the bike is otherwise ready to go and I can’t wait to get it on the road

Cheers, N8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Re: Help! I've been trying to bleed my GT750 brakes for 4 we

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

I'd suggest checking that master cylinders bore and its internal seals, its apparent from what you said that you have covered all other possible areas.
What type of fluid are you using.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

What brake lever are you using?

I had a similar issue once, and in the end I put a small self tapper into the lever where it meets the piston, effectively giving the piston more travel. That fixed it !
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
n8balls
On the street

Post by n8balls »

thanks for the replies :) The master cylinder is new from ebay, and the lever came with the master cylinder and seems to be pushing the piston in to the end of it's travel (I might try and shim it tho just to make sure)

The m/c is for "GS1000 GS1100 GS1150 GS750" according to the ad
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-BRAKE-MAS ... 19c9d0a266
master.jpg
master2.jpg
Is it possible the M/C isn't suited to the GT calipers? Like maybe too low displacement? Maybe the M/C is really for a single caliper bike - there's only so much trust you can place in an ebay description :?
As for the fluid, I'm using dot 4, castrol and now valvoline. I'm getting through a lot of it with all these bleedings
cheers, n8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

In a nut shell, the MC is too small for the volume of fluid you're trying to displace. The bore on the GT master is 15.88 diameter. That's nearly 2mm larger than what you have mounted.
My GS1000 (78) is a single caliper bike and the factory service manual I have says the bore is 14mm - replace at 14.05. So I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "maybe it's for a single caliper bike".
I advise you to look for a GT750 master cylinder - even if you have to rebuild it The MC's on the 380 and 550 are too small as they were single caliper bikes. Standard bore on them 1s 14.05.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

The right bore M/C is crucial but there are other variables to add to the equation.

Air gets trapped at every change in section, Y pieces, calipers and of course the banjo at the M/C all need to be bled.

The last possibility is a misaligned caliper. In theory it shouldn't be an issue, but check the pads to see if they are square to the disk. If they are even slightly angled, the caliper or the disk are twisting/distorting. It can be caused by a warped caliper, sticky sliding mechanism or wear on the inner bosses where the caliper bolts to the forks.

I have that issue on one of my project bikes where the welded custom mount is not square. The easy test is to loosen the caliper mounting bolts so the caliper is free to move and then apply the brakes. If they suddenly become firm, that's the problem.
djfisher22
To the on ramp

Post by djfisher22 »

Here is my 2 cents. Motorcycle brakes can be a bitch to bleed correctly. Too many places for air to be trapped as was stated. A buddy of mine turned me on to an elegant solution that has never failed me. I use a liqui-vac meant for changing tractor oil. You break free the bleeder screw, snug it and put the vac hose on the bleeder. Pump it up, crack the bleeder and it starts sucking the brake fluid and any air along with it. You leave the lid off the master and make certain it stays full of fresh fluid till the bubbles stop in the clear plastic hose. Sometimes you may have to sqeeze the brake handle,play it by ear. I've done single and dual caliper systems with it and it hasn't failed me yet. Here's the bigger one at Tractor supply. Mine is smaller than this one and I love it.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicle-ma ... ty-3000504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mine................

Here's a good deal on the little one.........

http://www.amazon.com/Airpower-America- ... 603&sr=8-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2000 ZRX (the green ones are fastest)
72 GT750 (almost done)
73 RV 125
72 RV 90 X 2
Now proudly displaying membership number 91 in the Ugly Fat Old Bastards Motorcycle Club.

http://www.ozebook.com/cpotw/documents/register.html
n8balls
On the street

Post by n8balls »

thanks again for the replies :)

Tested the calipers for alignment and they appear to be spot on

I did try vacuum bleeding but the resultrs were much the same as with conventional bleeding. If there was some air trapped (at the top of the y piece I reckon), it wasn't going anywhere.

I managed to get the lever as firm as I've ever had it by cycling the caliper pistons - removing the calipers from the disks, pushing the pistons into the calipers, then pumping the lever until they are almost out, pushing them all the way in, and so on - all with the m/c cap on loosely. This seems to flush out some of the trapped air. It still won't lock up the wheel when I'm riding however, which I'm guessing is because the displaced fluid is too low due to the smaller m/c bore.

I have bought the special circlip pliers and a m/c rebuild kit so I'll have a go at ressurecting the original m/c when they arrive :up:

cheers, n8
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Richard as an addition to this in a related way, the Bandits and V-Stroms were using a 5/8 master cylinder up until around the mid 2000s and suddenly they changed it to a 14mm size with no visual differences in braking performance.
I'm sure the pressure/volume ratios play an important part but I'm curious as to how its working on these later bikes.
The master cylinders physical components remained the same, so the only thing they did was to reduce the bore size.
Any thoughts on this?

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
Scorch
Born to ride
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 GT380

Post by Scorch »

This is a pretty easy one, but make certain your handlebars are turned so that the reservoir is higher than the outlet and banjo bolt. I bled my Madura with and without a vacuum pump for days before it dawned on me to turn the bars all the way to one side and get the reservoir is higher than the outlet and banjo bolt. :oops: After that they firmed up in a minute.
Suzuki: '18 V-Strom 1000, '75 GT380, '85 Madura 1200
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Allan,

Did they change piston size in the calipers or lever ratio/pivot position at the master? I use a calculation from Kevin Cameron that I adapted and it shows 28 pounds of hand pressure to achieve a 1G stop with 5/8 and 22 pounds for 14mm with no other changes. 28-32 is just about right on the street. 22 is more like an RS125 or very light powerful track bike. With such a light pressure that would make the brakes feel more powerful because you achieve the same retardation with less effort, but make it more likely to lock up the front end.

Stock GT750 is closer to 50 pounds, or a whole lot more effort to get the thing slowed down.
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Nope Richard they changed nothing on the master casting, just the bore size. Some bikes got Tokico six piston fronts while others got Nissin four piston fronts so there was a variation on the calipers as well but its not related to one particular master cylinder for the bore size..
I'm trying my best to figure this out simply because they did this on the Bandits and V-Stroms around 2007 and it defies a logical leverage formula.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Allan, are you talking the remote reservoir or integrated? I have two sets of SV calipers with 30mm pistons in both positions and one remote reservoir master and it's 5/8"