'74 GT550 front brake questions

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: '74 GT550 front brake questions

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

That actually was a while ago in this thread - I did post a chart with a few options. Check this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2983&hilit=+rotor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
vdavidoff
Around the block

Post by vdavidoff »

For anyone wondering, I am in contact with Slingshot cycles. I have been quoted (estimate) $40 for a replacement line. I'll be sending them my stock parts since they don't have specs for the bike already. I'll let you all know how things turn out.

Andy
vdavidoff
Around the block

Post by vdavidoff »

Guh.

When I bought my bike the bars were flipped. I flipped them back around and that "stock" lines I have for the front brakes no longer reach. I am guessing they are actually parts from a bike with rear power brakes mixed with the stock front brake lines, but I'm not sure. For fun I have attached pictures of them.

Anyway, since I apparently don't have the correct front brake lines, I have no way of determining how the bends in the banjo fittings need to look, or how they need to be clocked, which are both critical for getting a replacement line made via Slingshot (as I understand it). Earlier in this thread Cliff mentioned that the line should be 965mm long. Can anyone (maybe Cliff) provide information regarding the angling and clocking of the banjo fittings on either end? I think I'm kind stuck until I get this information.

Thanks.
Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pig9r
Still in the Driveway

Post by pig9r »

pm sent.
Cliff
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Original owner GT550L

Post by Cliff »

965mm long, 20 degree bend 10mm banjo at the master cyl. end, straight 10mm banjo at the other end. Both banjos at the same clock position. Worked for me!
vdavidoff
Around the block

Post by vdavidoff »

Thanks Cliff. I have ordered a replacement line using those details.

Andy
vdavidoff
Around the block

Post by vdavidoff »

The replacement line from Slingshot Cycles arrived today. It'll be a few days until I am able to put the brakes back together, but at a glance the replacement line looks great. It was $40 shipped and I had options with regard to fitting and hose colors.

Andy
vdavidoff
Around the block

Post by vdavidoff »

Well, I got to it sooner than I thought I would. Cliff's specs worked (thanks again), but the fit wasn't as "natural" as I would have hoped. I had to twist the line a little bit, against how it'd naturally lay, to make everything bolt on properly. Not so much that I think it's a problem, but enough that I'd say if you're going to have someone build you a replacement line, do clock your stock lines first and use that in your build specs.

I think I got all the air out of the lines. The brakes seem like they'd work, but would kind of suck. Which is kind of the impression I have for how the stock front brakes work. We'll see what happens when I test ride it (not sure when that'll be).

I have attached some pictures of the line Slingshot made for me. Nothing unexpected, but figured someone might want to actually see the finished product.

Thanks again for all the help.

Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cliff
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Original owner GT550L

Post by Cliff »

A little twist isn't a bad thing. You can work with that. Clock position of the fittings can be a bit confusing unless it's straight or 90 degrees. Remember this, custom made brake lines are not returnable.
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

I used HEL stainless brake lines on my 550 cafe. Very unique as the banjo ends can be swiveled for best line up and zero line twist. They are tight, but the method is to use a ball point pen inserted through the banjo fitting and use it like a t-handle. Grasp the base of the fitting and twist away!

Front fitting

Rear fitting

To eliminate the need for a third party splitter in the front, I used a double banjo bolt at the MC. (Twin front brakes)
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.