Air filters

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Ernievmar
On the street

Air filters

Post by Ernievmar »

Looking to go with three individual air filters any suggestions?
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: Air filters

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

This is on an L with stock CV style carbs ? Well - my first suggestion would be to leave it stock as generally it will run better. :D If you are changing the carbs to something else then I'm sure others will chime in ...... 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

There's many people who have run K&N or Uni filters but there has always been conjecture as to whether they cause a part throttle lean condition on CV carbs. There are those that are convinced that these carbs cannot be effectively re-jetted.

I hope they are wrong because mine have 6" long UNI foam filters on BS40 crabs with larger main jets. I expect that I'll need to fit larger needle jets or change the float level to bring low throttle opening fueling back into line. Not a lot of alternate parts though.

Stock needle jets are very large and unusual. They are Z-0 and there's not a lot of alternatives. Needles have an unusually large root diameter (2.98mm) and there are not many close alternatives. Most Mikuni needles are notionally 2.5mm root.

It might be possible to use a Z-6 jet and 4N8 needle and use a smaller main jet and possibly a larger air jet to tip the fuel curve.

If you have a J or K with 32mm carbs, that's way easier. They are odd carbs (not regular VM series) but they take normal VM type jets so there is a lot of choice..
Ernievmar
On the street

Post by Ernievmar »

I am a newbie so I don't know what i have, pic above.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Based on the photo what you have appears to be a 1974 'L' model - probably my favourite ! There are a number of one year only bits on them and other than the seat, yours looks to be whole. Take a look in The Field Guide at this link:

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/fieldgu ... T750L.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heck, if you lived within a 4 hour drive of Calgary I'd offer to buy it from you as I've been looking for one to rebuild ! 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Stick with a stock airbox is the easy money answer. If you are really good with carbs, try UNI or K&N and if not, stick to a stock air box and filter