RE-5 Tuning Help

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

deadmeat
Around the block

RE-5 Tuning Help

Post by deadmeat »

Hey all!
I'm getting back into the swing of things and given that we have a cold snap here in Florida (26 this morning) I thought I'd dive in and adjust the flat spot out and do the carb/port valve cable sync. What a Disaster! I've read bulletin #9 a thousand times before I touched a screw, and now that it's all apart and dangling by an octopus of cables and hoses, I have my first SNAFU.
I've backed out all the adjusters and installed the carb tool on the primary shaft. How does it index? I figured that once it's screwed in and bottomed out, the pointer wire is in place, you torque on the dial until zero matches the pointer. I've done that, but for #15 (full throttle adj.), I only get about 60 degrees of travel according to the dial, but the primary butterfly appears to be fully open. Spec says it should be 78 - 80 degrees. If I reset the dial to 80 degrees with the throttle wide open,and close the throttle, it shows about 20 degrees with the primay butterfly closed. WTF? I took out my spare carb to play with the carb tool and throttle openings and I get the same result. What am not getting here?

TIA

Pete