'72 GT380 - Oil Issue, Well Maybe, ya'll tell me please

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

jhood
On the street

'72 GT380 - Oil Issue, Well Maybe, ya'll tell me please

Post by jhood »

I have just recently restored a '72 GT380 and had a few issues that I think have been worked out. After an initital startup and a run for 5 minutes I shut her down due to a non shifting issue. I should correct the shifting issue and the slight oil leak that was associated with it once I put her back together. Another issue was a mismatched crank gear and a points cam gear. I have since changed the crank gear that is thinner than the original so as to match it up with the plastic points cam gear that has a solid side facing the clutch cover. The gears do not mix and match. Apparently there were 2 types of gears used on the '72 380.

Now to my pending issue, I drained the oil after the 5 minute run and the oil was almost black. The color of the Yamalube that I used in the 2 cycle oil container. I used Castrol in the transmission. I had assumed that the SIRS check valve might be stopped up so I have cleaned it out and the port that it goes into. There was trash in it. My theory was that the valve might be stopped up and blowing the 2 cycle crank oil back into the clutch area thru the oil seal. The crank has had a complete rebuild by Bill Bune. I notice that running from the side of the oil seal on the lower half of the block is a small galley way that runs into a small type resivior on the top of the bottom crank case, which could allow this 2 cycle oil to run over into the clutch area of the block. Is this supposed to be the way it works to help lube the clutch or do I actually have another problem? All ideas will be greatly appreciated. Please help.

Thanks,
John