Broken Oil Pump Control Arm at Carb

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Madbuffalo
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Broken Oil Pump Control Arm at Carb

Post by Madbuffalo »

I've been keeping an eye on this control arm as it's been getting more and more worn out. Well the tiny swivel ball finally separated from the control arm so it's finished. So I have 2 questions. 1) Is this part available? I have a spare set of carbs that I could steal the arm from but that one's already starting to get some play in it too. 2) How am I supposed to get it off the carb? It seems to be pressure fit? None of my manuals show any information on it. Thanks guys.
ControlArm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No really... it's supposed to smoke.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
1975 Suzuki GT750 Waterbuffalo
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Re: Broken Oil Pump Control Arm at Carb

Post by Coyote »

These guys have something that could be made to work with a little imagination. http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-joints/=d55xlh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Optionally, go to the local hobby store. Mini ball joints are used in RC cars and airplanes.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I seem to recall someone had a repair - Suzuki Allan perhaps that consisted of one of these
http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-joints/=d57a5j" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

plus a small spacer to space the ball joint out from the carb slightly.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

It was this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1180&hilit=rona&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've seen the fix, and it still seems to be working well and at a total cost of under $2 its a bargain.
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Madbuffalo
To the on ramp

Post by Madbuffalo »

You guys are the best! I went from one day not knowing what to do to having 3 options a day later! I'll head to Lowes Harware dept. tomorrow after work to see if I can find the items for Allan's fix. The McMaster fix seems to be the most professional option but the price is a bit steep at least as long as there are some other options on the table. I mentioned I had another set of carbs and I did have a chance to take that arm off (before reading your posts) so I'll keep that on the back burner for now. That heim joint has some play in it but since that bike had 18k miles and mine broke at 46k miles I figure it could potentially last another 25k miles give or take if it really had to. For now we'll try the $2 idea. Sounds like a good fix and still looks somewhat original from what I read. The goal is to get the bike all set for this weekend. It's Red's big get together for the Muskegon Bike Time event and I'm not gonna miss it this year. Thanks guys. Will post again when I get a bit further. Here's a picture of that spare control arm in case anyone wants a better idea of what we're talking about.
ControlArm2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs
Madbuffalo
To the on ramp

Post by Madbuffalo »

1 #10-32 nylon hex nut, $0.56. 2 #8 stainless steel finishing washers, $0.92. Making your own heim for $1.48... priceless.
ControlArm3.jpg

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs