Water Pump Cover Bolts

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

cac646
Still in the Driveway

Water Pump Cover Bolts

Post by cac646 »

Did a search but couldn't seem to find the answer. I've got a 77 GT750 that had an oil and coolant leak at the bottom of the engine. The coolant leak was due to a bad gasket at the water pump cover (I made sure it wasn't the water pump seals). I replaced the gasket and used anti seize on the bolts. The coolant leak is now gone.

The oil leak appeared to have been the gasket behind the gear indicator. I changed it and that portion of the leak seems to have disappeared.

I now have oil on the two water pump cover bolts on lef tleft rear side of the cover. It does not seem like the oil is coming from the water pump breather. Are the water pump cover bolts wet? Should I have used a sealent on them? Is this possibly the cause of my leak?
tz375
Moto GP

Re: Water Pump Cover Bolts

Post by tz375 »

Stock, the bolt holes are capped so that oil cannot escape, but on an old engine it's possible that a PO forced a longer bolt in there and cracked the top of one or more threaded holes.
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

There is also a breather pipe for the tranny under the oil pump cover. If the transmission is over filled, it will blow out this pipe. Is it gear oil or 2 stroke oil?
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
cac646
Still in the Driveway

Post by cac646 »

definately gear oil. I'll check the breather pipe.

Don't think the tranny is overfilled - I filled it until it started to run out the plug on the right side of the bike with the bike level and upright.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

If gearbox oil is still coming from that weep hole it could be excess oil or a bad oil seal in the water pump or a leaky top O ring on the water pump.

It takes a long time for surplus oil to dribble out of the level screw, but if the trans is overfilled, it tends to leak out of a drive shaft or the breather beside the oil pump.

The O ring and oil seal require the water pump to be removed to fix them - or plug the weep hole until you have time to pull the pump out.