GT550 Tool Box: Making It Bigger for More and Longer Tools

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Ebayru
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 74 GT550, 90 RZ350 (Canadian), 78 DT250

GT550 Tool Box: Making It Bigger for More and Longer Tools

Post by Ebayru »

When I found my 74 GT550 it had no tool kit. Whatever I tried to make up for it from all my extra tools wouldn't fit and I didn't particularly want to spend what was being asked for a factory kit because the tools are not very good quality.

I realized that the tool box had room to be bigger so I decided to enlarge the existing box. I didn't want to have to remake the attachment section so I essentially drilled out the welds for the back plate and split the box at the bottom. I reduced the angle of convergence at the bottom, re-bent the bottom turn angles and made a gusset out of some 18 gauge sheet metal that I had. I also made a replacement back panel out of the same metal. I duplicated the securing band hook in the bottom panel gusset.

I wanted to make it simple so I simply pop-riveted the parts together rather than being more elegant and welding the parts. If I had a spot welder of sufficient capacity, I would have used it.

It is now a bit over 2" deeper, 5/8' taller and more square in shape. It now easily holds my selection of regular tools. I just use hair bands for the retaining strap. I just haven't bothered to make a regular one up which I have often done using inner tube and stainless wire.

I hope someone may find this a useful modification.

Shel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ebayru on Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Re: GT550 Tool Box: Making It Bigger

Post by Coyote »

Cool man, and very in innovative. The NOS tool kits that are out there are not near as complete as the original tool kit, but are still a pain to cram it all in there. Room for a 3/8' breaker and a real plug socket would be a blessing. I may look at doing that to mine. 8)
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.