'73 GT550 won't start

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

TedThePengwn
Still in the Driveway

'73 GT550 won't start

Post by TedThePengwn »

So I'm looking at a '73 GT550, but it doesn't start. The current owner said that it was running fine 3 weeks ago, but the last time he went to start it the kick start locked up mid throw and now it won't start (something's locking up the engine or starter)
Any idea what's wrong/how much it would cost to fix?
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: '73 GT550 won't start

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

The list is a long one - but then you could be lucky. Lets assume the PO was not being truthful and so perhaps it hasn't run in decades. These all wet sump over time while sitting so it could be a hydraulic lock - pull the plugs and see if it will kick over then. If its still locked and if the PO was being truthful and it did in fact run recently, then given it is a '73 I'd guess it could be starter clutch (common failure) , or something related to the kick starter it self, or a piston has let go. You'd have to do some dis-assembly to find out.
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
TedThePengwn
Still in the Driveway

Post by TedThePengwn »

his guess at what was wrong (and he could have just made this up) was a broken chain somewhere in the kick starter that's locking the gears against the case...
is this possible?
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Sorry, but I don't think so. :?

Best bet is to pull the right side cover off and take a look for any obvious damage. An on-line copy of the shop manual is available at this link which you may find useful. I also have some photos of the rebuild I did at this link which may also be helpful.
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

Old 4 strokes had chains to operate the cams and in turn operate the valves. 2 strokes don't have any valves and the only chain in the bike is the one that drives the rear wheel. Sounds like he's trying to give you a real snow job.
Have you bought this bike? If not, it's time to walk away. IMO
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.