You'll Never Need RED CENTER EXHAUST GASKETS AGAIN! PLS READ

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

TheMarkedMan
On the street

You'll Never Need RED CENTER EXHAUST GASKETS AGAIN! PLS READ

Post by TheMarkedMan »

Since acquiring my 1974 Water Buffalo almost a year ago, I've learned a lot about fixing up old bikes. Suzi sat in a barn for 27 years before I got my hands on her. Luckily, pigeon crap and general filth preserved her impressively, but there were a few obvious things that needed attention (the rotten earwax from hell varnished gas in the carbs and most of the fuel system, some minor electrical work, and a disastrous seat-customization by the previous owner I managed to partially reverse).
One recent project I used my brain on was the matter of those pricey little red gaskets on the center pipe where it Y's off. I'm not a poor man, but I do have a mouth to feed, so money is tighter than it would be in a different reality.
I cut a 3 inch long section of unused radiator hose, dropped over to Crappy Tire and picked up 2 of those dinky little plumbing clamps (the ones that close with a screwdriver), and worked my makeshift magic on the gasket areas (removing the stock squeeze style clamps and totally destroyed oil saturated gaskets.....
what resulted was a perfectly air tight seal, and the temperature tolerance of the rad hose is totally sufficient! No leakage at all, and no signs of melting after 4 or 5 days of heavy riding.
Not bad for under 5 dollars and about 10 minutes....sure beats 50 bux or whatever Suzuki wants for them....still better than the 25 to 30 bux to get em on ebay.....
If anybody is stuck, give this a try....2 clamps and a piece of rad hose....done!!!!! and it looks kinda badass, lol
I'll post pictures in a little bit.....

Nathen