No spark after rebuild - problem solved!

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Re: No spark after rebuild - problem solved!

Post by H2RICK »

Gents, I'd STRONGLY recommend you NOW replace those point sets since you've filed the tungsten plating off the contacts and are down to bare steel.
The bare steel of the contacts will oxidize/rust very quickly and you'll be left with no sparks again.....and this will usually happen at the worst time (think dark/rainy night 500 miles from anywhere).
The days of being able to file/sand points died with last 2 cylinder John Deere tractor. Modern battery/coil ignitions have points that are far more sophisticated....and fragile.
You CAN get away with filing/sanding points on a magneto system because most magnetos have more robust point sets.....but you don't HAVE such a setup on your bikes, do you ?? :wink:
Spend the bucks for 3 new sets of points. You'll be happy you did.
BTW, the genuine Nippon Denso points are faaaarrrrr better quality than the Daiichi knockoff pieces.....but you DO pay to have the ND logo on the parts.....so it's your call.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
pennell
On the street

Post by pennell »

I am having a very similar problem with my GT750.. Drove it home and it was hard to start when I picked it up from storage, and now its only get spark on the right side, fiddled around with the points and wiring to check grounds and suddenly the left is now firing. I just purchased points and condensors on ebay for what seemed to be to good of a deal... Did I get shitty points perhaps? Electronic ignition time?

To top it all of my starter is not working (magically stoped) but my cylendoid is clicking... I finally found a spare one to try to I will see how that goes.
two-stroke-brit
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt750

Post by two-stroke-brit »

pennell wrote:I am having a very similar problem with my GT750.. Drove it home and it was hard to start when I picked it up from storage, and now its only get spark on the right side, fiddled around with the points and wiring to check grounds and suddenly the left is now firing. I just purchased points and condensors on ebay for what seemed to be to good of a deal... Did I get shitty points perhaps? Electronic ignition time?

To top it all of my starter is not working (magically stoped) but my cylendoid is clicking... I finally found a spare one to try to I will see how that goes.
I used a newtronics unit with great trouble free results .
a nobrainer for me as am points challenged
mark
She will never be pretty but hoping she will be a fun ride.

1973 SUZUKI GT750K.=SOLD
yamaha speedtwinn 100 barn find =SOLD
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (restored)
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (basket case) =SOLD
1982 HONDA CB900F =SOLD
1982 YAMAHA RD350LC.
1985 RZ350N
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

To top it all of my starter is not working (magically stoped) but my cylendoid is clicking
I had a starter motor on my 550 do the same thing. It's the brushes. They are either stuck, worn down too far or broken.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.