Removing engine mounts - T/GT500

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

bikegeezer
On the main road

Removing engine mounts - T/GT500

Post by bikegeezer »

I tried to remove the 2 forward mounts because the rubber was all gummy and the inner parts wiggled around. Used a threaded rod with a large socket over one end. Well, the center and the rubber came out, leaving the outer bush still pressed into the case. The ID is .8", so forget an easy out. Then I found the Miracle Tool in Ace Hardware. It's a cam action pipe nipple extractor. Ace # 13-2305. Cost $5.99. After aiming a heat gun at the mount for ten minutes, I inserted the extractor. And using a 1/2" breaker bar and socket to turn the extractor, the bush turned right out. So I guess Ace really is the place!

Stu
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Nice tip. I've removed the rubber mounts from the GT750 with a Dremel tool. That would have been easier.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
bikegeezer
On the main road

Post by bikegeezer »

rngdng wrote:Nice tip. I've removed the rubber mounts from the GT750 with a Dremel tool. That would have been easier.
Lane
LOL. That's exactly what I had in my hand when I decided to stop and think about it some more. I've knocked a few of these out pretty easily from the inside, but these two were stuck really tight.

Stu
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

Stu,

Thanks for the tip! I've gone the cut and hack route before and it's a hard way of doing it!

Jim