Cylinder replacement GT550

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

TheFinland
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 GT550M

Cylinder replacement GT550

Post by TheFinland »

Do the differing years matter when replacing the cylinders? Can I use a 1972 cylinder on a 1975 bike? I know the heads are different cause of the style of ram air duct that's on em.

As always, help is massively appreciated.
tz375
Moto GP

Re: Cylinder replacement GT550

Post by tz375 »

Some markets had nicasil type plated (SECM IIRC) bores with split transfer ports on later cylinders but i believe that the US market only had the one design as it relates to porting and materials.

What did change was the fins above the inlet ports. Early cylinders had individual carbs and the fins extended towards the rear. Later bikes used a gang of carbs with a linkage and the fins were shorter above the inlets to allow for the linkages on top of the bank of carbs.

All cylinders with iron liners are interchangeable but late cylinders on an early motor might look a little strange to anyone looking too closely. For a daily driver or race bike it makes no difference, but if you ant it to look stock, you may prefer to get a matching cylinder.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

I ain't writing all this again!
https://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/ ... ilit=Heads
Joining the Kettle Clinic is easy and free if you wish to contribute.
It's for all Suzy 2 strokes despite the name, and we have a world wide membership and spares availability/rebuild help/advice etc.. :clap:
Follow the subsequent links for barrel and other info, and if you do a search, lots of 'stuff' about electrics, charging, alternators, rectifiers etc. etc.......
And yes, I do post there (and elsewhere) too.
Just traded my GT750B for a GT550B as well, so I daresay there will be 'upgrade' info soon.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

tz375 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:33 pm ...
What did change was the fins above the inlet ports. Early cylinders had individual carbs and the fins extended towards the rear. Later bikes used a gang of carbs with a linkage and the fins were shorter above the inlets to allow for the linkages on top of the bank of carbs.
The early heads & ram air covers were also extended towards the rear.

Later bikes also have the petcock moved forward. The early & late gas tanks are different.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE