Wrist pins too small

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Bmurphybcr
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1973 GT250k

Wrist pins too small

Post by Bmurphybcr »

So I just got my cylinders and pistons back from the machine shop for my '73 suzuki gt250. Had to bore +.5mm because of scoring. I bought my pistons out of the UK from IMD on eBay. Guess I didn't notice that they specified that the wrist pins are 14mm. Now I have cylinders bored to the specs of these pistons and can't install them. So now I'm wondering if I can just use a different needle bearing. I wanted to make sure of the size first before I buy some. Near as I can tell I'll need a bearing that's id 14mm x od 21mm x 19.6mm. Is this the right size? Anyone have an idea where I could find any? This is the closest I could find, will it work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Needle-Cage-Be ... 632-2357-0
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Re: Wrist pins too small

Post by dollydog »

hi mate, in not too many words, there is no easy way of doing this - apart from buying a pair of pistons with 16mm gudge pin holes. don't bother with oversized needle rollers. i've actually had phosphor bronze bushes made for some conrods to bring the size down to 14mm, but i was never happy with them. in fact the first time i stripped the top end one of the bushes had spun and then the top holes didn't line up. you have 2 choices: buy some 16mm gudge pin pistons or take the crank out and get 14mm gudge pin conrods fitted. as i said, unfortunately there is no easy way :(
cheers, dd.
p.s. forgot to add: the big ends on the 14mm and 16mm conrods are exactly the same, so an easy swap if you go that way. plus you'll be able to use later gt250 pistons, rg250 pistons and x7 pistons, all 14mm gudge pin sized.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
Bmurphybcr
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1973 GT250k

Post by Bmurphybcr »

Thanks. I went ahead and bought the right size pistons. Everyone I've spoken with about it said that's what they'd do. Not the cheapest option, but I want to make sure I do it right. Still waiting on them to get here. I just hope they aren't too small for the new bore.
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Post by dollydog »

put it this way mate, that's most definitely the cheapest way. if you think about the other way, it's a complete crank strip and rebuild to fit the smaller gudge pin conrods. as to the pistons being too small? i presume you took the pistons in with you when you had the barrels rebored? i'd be more bothered if the pistons were too big, as running the engine up to temperature, then stripping the top end down and looking for shiny high spots on the pistons, rubbing them down with fine wet n dry, fitting them again and repeating can be a right ball ache :D
cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.