GT550A top end woes

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

vulcanman
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A 1976

Re: GT550A top end woes

Post by vulcanman »

Hi Alan ,im using her as often as poss.been out most of today and running great.however,on Thur and Fri she started 1st kick.today nothing diff just wouldnt have it.after 10 mins of kicking and trying gave up and changed plugs for new ones.1st kick she fired.old plugs look fine only done 300 miles?
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

There are a lot of duff 'NGK' plugs around currently - cheap chinky knockoffs.
Look up on google and buy plugs from a reputable supplier.
Many of us have had the same issue and NGK are aware of the problem.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Yep ,i will do .its almost like if you dont catch her 1st kick you have no chance.usually get my plugs from local bike shop who i trust but of course they may have been hoodwinked too.i look up the advice.ta.
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Eve all and now lower left baffle tried and almost left pipe today.arrived at pub to find it had just popped out.didnt hear it initially as my mates Guzzi Scuria has fairly loud pipes.cable tie to get me home and another allen bolt put in as tight as poss.getting to be a regular game this 🤣
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Take the baffle out and drill/tap 6mm 180 degrees from the current (worn) threaded hole. Fit a stainless cap head in the hole and put a nylok on the inside with a blob of studlok in it. Nip the nut up - or even put a SS spring washer under it. Yes it's a faff, but use snipe nose pliers to hold the nut and tighten the stud, then you can 'spanner' the nut.
It won't come out again unless you want it to. I did similar on all the baffles on my 550K several years ago and never had one get loose.
Here in the UK we have Toolstation that has loads of different SS nuts, bolts, washers etc. at very low prices. Dunno what you have 'over there' but there must be summat! ;)
Of course, if you don't have millimetres, just use 1/4" instead....... :roll:
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Ta for tips.the new allen bolt was a semi perm fix but nxt week was planning something along the lines you advise.dont want to lose a baffle as they are bloomin pricey.the right lower pipe and baffle staying in place since fitting the steel collar so thats good .thank you again.getting to end of season so be filling tank to brim and removing battery soo.off to Ardingly bike show/jumble a week Sun to hopefully spot anything 380/550 related.
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

I am in the UK by way in East Sussex
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

vulcanman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:39 am I am in the UK by way in East Sussex
Commiserations my friend. :roll: :lol:
If you ever fancy a trip oop norf to God's County, gizza bell. Remember I have a couple of 550s, a Kettle and a GS to talk about. :wink:
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

My mate in Chesterfield says we all southern softies down here ! But we do have some great roads and pubs and a big group of classic bikers .i normally get up your way couple times a year so if im oop there i give you a shout
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Check emails for contact details bud.
My last job as an Engineer who's head office was in Loughton Essex, means I can speak fluent Suvn (innit!!) :wink:
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Im actually from near Rochdale but have been all over UK.down south for long time so yep sound London ish
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Great turnout at 6 Bells Sun .about 50 classic bikes out on a surprisingly nice day.550 ran well .close to 2k miles so be time to check head bolts for torque .
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Afternoon Alan ,query.can i replace my Chain & Sprockets without removing the exhausts ? Ive ordered the best X ring DID chain and quality sprockets.should arrive in a few days.chain all but out of adjustment so time to change them.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Yes. You will have to remove the back wheel though to change the sprocket. Put a board under the centre stand and get someone to help you get it on the stand and chock the front wheel so the bike can't roll forwards. Now take the top rear shock nuts off and pull the shocks off the top pins so the rear wheel is now on the floor (assistance makes this easier as it's chuffin' heavy!) Then you can remove the wheel without the axle fouling the exhausts. Yes I know you can take the ends off the swinger - your choice. I use a split link on the chain - not endless - to put it all together after the sprockets are changed and then get your willing victim to lift the wheel so you can repin the shocks etc. You might need an extra gearbox sprocket washer to move the sprocket out a tad so the chain doesn't foul anything. I fitted X ring chain to my 550s, but not heavy duty and it was ok without the extra washer.
If you get stuck with a shortage of swear words during the job, I've got some spares here at reasonable prices, depending on the language!! :lol:
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Many thanks Alan.i prob be doing it in a week or two as she ok for now.parts be here Sat.great tips for me.