GT550A top end woes

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

vulcanman
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A 1976

Re: GT550A top end woes

Post by vulcanman »

Always use B8ES .now she fully run in for 2nd time i am using using her up to near 7k revs for short bursts but more often than not up to 6k .turbine smooth at 65/70 mph .getting some decent runs in now.maybe im getting duff fake plugs but always buy from good suppliers.
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

And using her 3/4 days a week at moment.really enjoying riding .taking me right back to early days.love the smell of the 550 on pulling up.dare say winter will prob not be so often for a run.garage now fully weather proof and got heater to tick over to keep the temp up if we get a bad cold stretch.
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Eve Alan,silly question time,bushes in bottom mount of my black rear shocks had it.breaking up and coming out.any idea what size i need and are they easy to push out and new ones push in? Lower right right baffle loose again! My mate has made up a collar to fit around which should do a more permanent fix when i can get over to him.soon hopefully.also hoping to order Higgspeeds for winter fit and chain n sprockets.find out Mon if piggy bank will allow !
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

The bushes can be a pain to remove but will push out in a vice. New bushes are available on evilbay or Hagon if you have their shocks. Getting new ones in is a reversal of getting the little sods out, to quote Haynes..... Use lube (where the bushes go!) to help and on the frame mounts where the shocks fit too..
I have Hagons on all my bikes and they transform handling. If the bushes are worn out, maybe the shocks are too? Look on the Hagon website - they do original lookalike shocks, and if you talk to them and tell them your weight and style of riding (solo or 2 up, for instance) the new shocks will come set up for YOU. Not the cheapest, but worth the spend. Trust me on that, I'm a very economical Yorkshireman not noted for chucking my well earned about!!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Thank you Alan,yes new shocks may be easier.i have 2 spare sets of chrome shroud shocks but one set are cheapo chinese ones that look great but dont work well at all.the other set work lovely but heavily corroded so new prob best way.see how i get on finding some extra funds for work over winter.we had over a hundred classic bikes at our pub Sun despite other popular biker events being on.Kent custom and big run and meet on Brighton madeira drive.BSA owners club had their rally there too adding to feast of great machinery.i put some pics up later when ive reduced the sizes .
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Eve Alan,right lower baffle secured with a steel collar.put a bigger Allen bolt in.managed to get baffle wedged through plates well as all pretty much loose and seems to have tightened everything up.she ran really well today.had to re thread the baffle to accept the bolt.nxt stop chain and sprockets.ive also got new bushes in the chrome top shocks but the springs im told although look good are rubbish so prob wont bother withem and stick withe black Sebacs ive got on which work great but just dont look so pretty
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Eve all ,small result Sun,fella turns up on an XS2 who really liked the 550,he noticed my left 's' mirror just spins and said i got a good one of those on my Yam and you can have it as they are a miss matched pair and he has bought a replica set of new ones for his bike.result.that aside all running well.managed another 100 miles last week until fuel issues put a stop to fun.like everyone else hoping petrol will be available shortly.nothing round here at all.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

They do run better the more they actually run.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Is that a hint ? 🤣
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Not at all, yours seems to be running much better the more you ride it.
I need to thin my stable out a bit as 4 bikes are difficult to keep riding regularly.
3's a good number for me, I reckon.
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

I agree Alan.my Mk1 VFR is having to go.bit of a stretch for my back these days.looking for a Dominator 650 or similar or even an Enfield 500.need sit up and beg these days.2 of us turned 60 last Sat and had a get together at our pub but due to fuel and the awful weather only 2 bikes made it but 24 of us had a great afternoon.fella with the s mirrors has now found 2 and says i can just have them.he was out on a Benelli 900 Sun with a beautiful hand crafted 6 into 1 in style of old 400/4 all swept over down pipes looked and sounded perfect.
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

IMG-20211014-WA0006.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Eve all ,just had this from.a mate who thinks this was caused by one use of E10 fuel.im not so sure but am certainly avoiding it in the bikes.sticking to E0 from my local supplier or super unleaded.
karl pa
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Post by karl pa »

I had a Yamaha DT175B with similar damage, in the end I found the damage was caused by oil pump failure, and lack of lubrication.
When they started using E10 gas here in the US, I heard concern about the E10 washing the oil off the cylinder walls and causing damage to the piston and cylinder wall from lack of lubrication, but like I said in another post, I put 20,000 miles on some of my bikes with E10 gas with no ill effect. I wish they wouldn't have gone to E10 gas, but when I go for a 300 mile ride, I don't plan my route around pure gas stations, so I use E10 gas without worry.
My understanding, here in the US, they add more ethanol to super unleaded to increase octane levels, So in the US you are better to use lower octane grades, (again just my understanding)
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Whatever the fuel or 'old' vehicle, they just need running. Being parked up is worse than death for an older engine.