GT550 Vacuum gauge use

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Hush
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 74 GT550 L 73 GT250K

GT550 Vacuum gauge use

Post by Hush »

Can someone show me how the GT550 uses a vacuum gauge? I am used to removing small screws on multi carbs and fitting screw in tubes to use a carb balancer but obviously the 550 does not have these so I am thinking maybe you have to block off the entire carb intake somehow to use one.
A photo would be greatly appreciated. :D
gammakeith
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1966 T20

Re: GT550 Vacuum gauge use

Post by gammakeith »

They are not used on a two stroke so they don't have the tappings. Balancing throttles slides by eye or with drill bits of the correct size is usually considered sufficient and will be specified in the manual. Even my RG500 doesn't have one. The idle mixture screw can then be tweaked to give a good tickover. The bonus of a two stroke with separate exhausts is that you can usually get a good tickover by "ear" by listening to the individual exhausts.

Keith
1927 Scott 3 Speed Super Squirrel
1948 Scott Flying Squirrel
1951 Cyclemaster
1966 Suzuki T20
1981 Montesa 349
1985 Suzuki RG500
1999 Honda CRM250AR
Definately NO 4 strokes :-)
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Post by GTandcbr »

I once had a friend who drilled out the blank cast on the opposite side to the airscrew. Then threaded the hole and used a acrew in nipple to push the vacuum gauge hose. Then afterwards he just screwed in a bolt to block it off
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
markush
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT250/380

Post by markush »

See pics.
There are already "Phillips" screws at the outer carbs. For the middle use the vacuum hose to the fuel cock.

Pics show GT380, but the carbs are from 550. Wouldn't matter, the screws are at the 380 carbs, too.

The use of vacuum gauges with a two-stroke only works if they have a low measuring range, up to a maximum of -0.5 bar. Otherwise with a maximum value of -1 bar, as you often get, they hardly indicate anything useful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.