GT 185 kick start lever

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

GTFIZZ
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Gt185 1976 , Yamaha FS1e 1975

GT 185 kick start lever

Post by GTFIZZ »

Hi
The kick start lever on my 185 has excessive play in it, I have renewed the bolt, but it is still loose, is there anything else I can do to keep it from moving when riding?
Thanks in advance
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: GT 185 kick start lever

Post by GTandcbr »

Before you do anything, check the clamp. Only one side has a thread on it. Make sure the bolt goes through the plain side and into the threaded side. If its in the wrong way around the clamp wont tighten.
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
GTFIZZ
On the street

Post by GTFIZZ »

GTandcbr wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:14 am Before you do anything, check the clamp. Only one side has a thread on it. Make sure the bolt goes through the plain side and into the threaded side. If its in the wrong way around the clamp wont tighten.
Thanks for the reply, I’m pretty sure the clamp is the correct way found, but can’t check for sure though as it’s dark in The Cave
GTFIZZ
On the street

Post by GTFIZZ »

GTFIZZ wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:34 am
GTandcbr wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:14 am Before you do anything, check the clamp. Only one side has a thread on it. Make sure the bolt goes through the plain side and into the threaded side. If its in the wrong way around the clamp wont tighten.
Thanks for the reply, I’m pretty sure the clamp is the correct way found, but can’t check for sure though as it’s dark in The Cave
On inspection the clamp is the correct way round and bolt tightened up, but the actual lever is still loose, well it’s not really as I have a few rubber bits wedged in between the clamp and lever.
It’s not a major issue as she fires up on the button, but it would be nice to have the lever as it is supposed to and not rely on the rubber bits😉