Front sprocket.....no room to get a socket on...GT185

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

joeloss1
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT185-1973

Front sprocket.....no room to get a socket on...GT185

Post by joeloss1 »

Hello all,
The saga continues.....on the road with electrics sorted. Just a little concern when I fitted new chain and sprockets...with the front sprocket in place,there is no room to get a socket on so had to tighten as tight as I could with regular spanner. I would have thought these would need correct torque etc.....or will "nice and tight" be ok .....?

Thanks for help to date.

John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: Front sprocket.....no room to get a socket on...GT185

Post by GTandcbr »

So i dont really understand? The sprocket is bolted on the front you have removed the sprocket cover haven't you?
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
joeloss1
On the street

Post by joeloss1 »

Yes.....I've re-fitted chain and sprockets but when the front sprocket is on the shaft, there is not enough gap between the bolt heads and the shaft to slide a socket on to tighten. Probably 1mm gap so socket won't fit over head of bolt. Can only use a spanner to tighten on the sides.
John.
Evans Ward
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT750, 72 H2 750, 84 RZ350

Post by Evans Ward »

I’d look for some smaller headed metric sized bolts like some grade 8 hex head ones to allow clearance for the nut to be tightened and torqued to spec. Otherwise, I’d be quite paranoid riding it with it as is. Also use blue lock tite on the splines for the CS nut. Does your bike utilize a locking tab washer?
1976 Suzuki GT750 (Maui Blue), 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candytone Blue), 1984 Yamaha RZ350 (KRR- Yellow/ Black).
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Post by GTandcbr »

So i am pretty sure your bike has the front sprocket set up as my 550. The sprocket is secured by a lock washer over the splines and the washer is bolted to the sprocket which allows lateral movement which is normal. The bolts are not really under stress and just prevent the lock washer from rotating. As long as the bolts are tight and held with Loctite stud lock as suggested there wont be a problem.
Last edited by GTandcbr on Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
joeloss1
On the street

Post by joeloss1 »

Yes.....that's exactly the set-up....spacer "plate" thingy to allow lateral play. So I guess I'm ok as well-tightened.
Thanks for info.
John.