Heavy rattle or knock at tick over

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

kenintheuk
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500 K 1973

Heavy rattle or knock at tick over

Post by kenintheuk »

Guys, having sorted out the none starting (see my other threads) and got the engine running, I find that as the engine warms up, it has a heavy rattle/knock at tick over. (no knock when cold). The noise disappears as the revs increase although does reappear during odd times whilst riding as the rev rise and fall. Once on the move, the bike performs rides well. The bike has just been re-bored and fitted with GT750 pistons 9less than 100 miles) . I am no expert but my guess is that this is "piston slap" or perhaps something loose in the engine = it appears to be from the middle of the left cylinder. thanks for any suggestions
karl pa
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Re: Heavy rattle or knock at tick over

Post by karl pa »

Sorry, don't really have an answer. Is timing set properly? If running points,there condition?
You could pull head and see if piston rocks in bore. I would hope not after rebore,but ?
You may want to remove cylinder and check bore measurements are not to loose or tight,again I hope not.
If I'm not mistaken, the piston crown and skirt will expand with heat, this is why the piston should be measured in the area of the pin.
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe