GT550 wont go into gear?

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

SuzukiSmith
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 GT550

GT550 wont go into gear?

Post by SuzukiSmith »

So I was changing the transmission oil on my 550, and made I hope to not be a big mistake. I unscrewed the angled bolt out the bottom and the spring and detent came out? I put it back in the way it came out. But now it won't shift out of neutral up or down? Is this an easy fix? I can't find anything on it other than an exposed view. What does this do? Thanks
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: GT550 wont go into gear?

Post by Alan H »

It's the gearchange detent screw, spring and plunger - items 18, 19, 20, 21 on the diagram.
gearbox.jpg
You didn't move the gearlever while it was out did you?
If not and you replaced all the parts, the gears should change.
Does the gear lever move or what?

The oil drain plug is the vertical one, not the one on an angle. You aren't the first to take the wrong one out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
SuzukiSmith
On the street

Post by SuzukiSmith »

I did not move the lever. Just pulled the parts said "crap" that doesn't make sense and put it back the way it came out.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Try turning the back wheel as you try and change gear, or start the engine so the clutch rotates.
Sometimes gears won't engage when the engine or bike aren't moving.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
SuzukiSmith
On the street

Post by SuzukiSmith »

So I drained the trans again. Pulled the plug spring and plunger out and checked the orientation to the exploded diagram. I did put it back in correctly. The rod that it rides against had rotated. So I felt around with a pick and got it to turn. Reinstalled everything and I it is now shifting like before.Thanks for the help!
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Great news.