GT380 clutch rods confusion

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

GT380 clutch rods confusion

Post by sportston »

Hi folks, does anyone have any experience with GT380 clutch rods?
I am confused because when I looked at the parts diagram below the clutch rods are listed as component 13 and 14.
13 is part no. 23111-10000 (longer rod)
and 14 is 23111-33000 (shorter rod)
However when I ordered a new long rod 23111-10000 it came in a sealed genuine Suzuki bag with right part no. but was a short rod.
Has anyone come across this before?
Is the parts diagram wrong?
Is the short rod definitely the inside rod or have I got my rods the wrong way around?
Supposedly the shorter rod is NLA. But I seem to have a brand new one in the wrong bag. :wth:
The same part number is listed as the inner rod on a GT250. Hmmm. Has Suzuki got the parts diagram wrong?

GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: GT380 clutch rods confusion

Post by GTandcbr »

Wrong part in the bag.
Here is link for parts book.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... QfrjuRkleG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you look in right column it gives you the dimensions
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

GTandcbr wrote:Wrong part in the bag.
Here is link for parts book.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... QfrjuRkleG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you look in right column it gives you the dimensions
Thank you very much for that. Most informative. However, it is the right part in the bag according to what you just showed me. The part number matches the length on the part I have.
So the problem I think is the diagram. If you compare the lengths with the picture they do not tally. The one that appears to be short in the picture is actually the longer of the two. So I have inadvertently put my clutch rods in back to front. Doh!

The shorter rod should be the one at the adjuster end and the long one is the one hidden in the gearbox. I wonder how many other guys have followed the picture like me and got it wrong. Presumably the previous owner did, as it was the longer of the two rods that was rusty at one end.
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Post by GTandcbr »

Just one final thing to check. Both rounded ends are to face the clutch :)
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

GTandcbr wrote:Just one final thing to check. Both rounded ends are to face the clutch :)
Thanks for the advice. So basically the rounded ends face against each other? I hope so, because that is what I guessed made sense to avoid friction transfer of spinning. Bike seems to be working fine like that so far.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Just get some bright steel 8mm rod off ebay (number 323175383233 ) for £3.20 and cut your own - I have.
Sod Suzuki prices!
I've stripped engines with the rods in both ways and it doesn't seem to make a difference, but the long one 'should' be nearest the clutch, and round ends towards the clutch.

How come your original post time is later this afternoon? Your clock needs winding up in your user control panel (gmt+1 or ect)!!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Alan H wrote: How come your original post time is later this afternoon? Your clock needs winding up in your user control panel (gmt+1 or ect)!!
Its because we live in different countries. There is a time-difference. I live in Scotland and you live in Yorkshire. :lol:
I've checked and the board doesn't do daylight saving changes. Perhaps its something to do with that.
Think I got one of my round ends the wrong way round then. Mine are both facing against each other. Its working ok so far though.