GT550 Kick start issues

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

motorpsycho
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki ZRX1200,YamahaR5,

GT550 Kick start issues

Post by motorpsycho »

My 550 kicker occasionally doesn't engage and the kicker just blows through the stroke without turning the engine over.
It's been like this for awhile, so my laziness has led me to using the button to start.
However, the starter motor gear decided to disintegrate and now that I have the case off, I thought I'd fix the kick start as well.
Can't tell from my manual, does the entire kick start assembly come out in one piece?
Looks like a couple of bolts come out and the entire shaft comes out as an assembly.
Is that all there is to it?

Thanks in advance.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: GT550 Kick start issues

Post by jabcb »

Using part #s per the Partzilla diagram: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuk ... ck-starter

The spring (part 3) pushes part 2 into the gear (part 9) when you use the kickstart.

You are in luck if your problem is a broken spring (part 3). Its still available from Suzuki for around $1.
You just need to remove the circlip (part 5) & thrust washer (part 4) to remove & replace the spring.

You can remove part 2 without removing parts 6 through 8.
But you can not pull out the shaft (part 1) because it has a hole that engages the tensioner spring (part 19).
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE