Don't use just any Fuel filter!

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Don't use just any Fuel filter!

Post by sportston »

So today I was a bit bummed because my GT380 wasn't running right. "No problem, it's just the jetting" I thought to myself.
But...Upon removal of the first float bowl I see lots of dirt in my carb. How could this happen, when I have an inline fuel filter fitted with freshly re-conned carbs and new fuel lines?
The mistake was mine. I had unwittingly fitted a fuel filter that didn't actually filter much at all. It was aluminium and re-usable according to the ebay listing. When I stripped it down to investigate I find instead of a paper element it has what appears to be a fish bubble filter installed. It would only filter particles larger than about 2mm!
Moral of story. Use a fuel filter that has a clear housing and a you will be able to tell if it has a paper element and is filtering out the crap coming from your 44yr old fuel tank.
Hopefully this post will help others avoid making the same mistake.
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: Don't use just any Fuel filter!

Post by GTandcbr »

I always fit suzuki bandit fuel filters (I need 3 because I have a J) not cheap but they have internal magnet and absolutely no dirt gets in! See the picture I cut one in half after many years of use
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Re: Don't use just any Fuel filter!

Post by sportston »

Good idea. At least they seem to hold the dirt back rather well. I have already ordered some with magnets in after writing the post. Not specific to the Bandit but they should do the job fine.