Advice, please, on condition of a T350 crankcase

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

acf2x2000
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT185 , T250, GT380, GT550, T500

Advice, please, on condition of a T350 crankcase

Post by acf2x2000 »

DSC09448 reduced size.JPG
Greetings,

I have a small shop near Asheville, NC specializing in vintage Japanese motorcycles. My experience is mostly with four-strokes. So I will be grateful for this forum's collective experience and knowledge when I need it.

At the moment, I have a customer's Suzuki T350 engine on my bench. He had rebuilt the top end but it still ran poorly. I pressure-tested the crankcase sides and it was leaking badly from the right side and a little from the left. I sent the crank out for rebuilding with new rods and seals. When I got it back, I had a good close look at the case half castings - and the bottoms, particularly the right side - look like they have been beaten to death with a broken con rod. Lottsa cracks and it looks like the alloy was hammered hard enough in places that it smeared. I'll attach a couple of pics.

I'd like to know if this case is still usable or if it can be repaired/sealed to make it so. The case pressure is very low so I would think that cracks can be filled - but I will defer to the collective wisdom here.

Thank-you,
Chris Finlayson
Existential Motorcycles
Alexander, NC 28701
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Re: Advice, please, on condition of a T350 crankcase

Post by dollydog »

hi mate, wow, there's an awful lot of stress cracking there. do they go right through, or is the underneath ok? if you really don't like the idea of re-using that bottom crankcase, why not look around for another? t250 case is exactly the same, so look for a decent one. gt250 ramair cases are the same, but most of them don't have the drain plugs for under the cranks fitted - and they come in mighty useful if you happen to flood the engine :up: i'd flatten the two faces of the crankcases flat, now you've got odd cases, but it's easy enough with a glass plate and some valve grinding paste. there are other methods as well for making sure they are dead flat and mate together perfectly. if it was on my bench and i wasn't happy with it, that's what i'd do. hope that all makes sense?
cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.