Gt380 running on 2

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Multimts12
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Gt380 rgv250 gsxr750

Gt380 running on 2

Post by Multimts12 »

Hi I've restored a 1977 gt380 but have a really annoying issue with it .
It starts on 3 no problem but after about 5 mins it dies on the left cylinder.
I have done the following to try and resolve it.
Rebore pistons and rings
New plugs
New condensers
Checked the timing
Had the carbs ultrasonically cleaned
New coil
Carb is full of fuel and sparking ok on that cylinder, can anyone spare some wisdom n. This it's driving me to distraction
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: Gt380 running on 2

Post by Alan H »

Hello and welcome.
First of all, we like to know a bit about you - like which bit of the UK are you in and what's your bike history, especially your repair knowledge/capability.
Only then will we suggest that you've possibly got either a slightly stuck choke, slightly high carb fuel level(s) or slight air leak between carb and cylinder.
Last is easiest to find - simply spray carb cleaner around the suspect area with the engine running and if tbe engine picks up speed, there's the air leak. Favourite issue here is old perished rubbers between carb and cylinder.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Multimts12
Still in the Driveway

Post by Multimts12 »

Hi and thanks for the reply.
I am in Warrington Cheshire , I'm now 56 and have had bikes since I was 14.
I suppose having messed around with bikes for years I have an idea but no expert.
Will try your suggestions but I think my concern was crank seals, although I have replaced the outer seals
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

If the outers were u/s, it very likely the rest are dud, unfortunately. Fi gers crossed on tbat one. I've soaked cranks in situ with diesel on 3 x GT550s and managed to save seals and bearings, but if you've been running it, bets are off. I've a mate in Warrington that recently sold his Kettle that may be able to help. PM me your details and I'll pass them on.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

Will it run on 3 cylinders at all after the left pot has died? After the engine is warmed up, will the left pot chime in above a certain rpm, or does it remain dead?

If the left outer crank seal is failing or has failed, it usually makes the bike hard to start from cold, but it shouldn't stop it running altogether when the engine has some warmth in it.

Have you replaced the plug caps as well? For what it's worth, I don't trust the resistor caps so I fitted non-resistor ones.

Have you a compression tester to check the compression in the cylinders?
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
Multimts12
Still in the Driveway

Post by Multimts12 »

No once it dies on the left cylinder it won't kick in again until it's cooled down.
I have replaced the outer seals when the engine was stripped for blasting.
I haven't replaced the caps but there is a good spark still when that cylinder is off.
Tried spraying carb cleaner in earlier and it seemed to come back in but the carbs have been cleaned ?
Compression is good
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

Where did you spray the carb cleaner, just around the inlet rubbers? Or down the carb throat? Either way, if the left pot chimes in when you do that, it sounds like a fuelling problem.

Is the float bowl vent tube clear and not kinked / trapped? That's the tube from the bottom of the floatbowl that pushes onto the brass spigot. It isn't just an overflow: if that tube is blocked, then there's no atmospheric pressure getting into the float chamber, and that will starve the cylinder of fuel after a minute or two. Best way to check is just to pull the plastic tube off completely, and squirt some carb cleaner up the brass spigot to try and clear it (not with the engine running).
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Post by GTandcbr »

Definately sounds like a stuck choke piston to me. Starts when cold then floods the cylinder killing the spark. Starts again when cold. The bottom of the choke piston has a rubber seal if that is damaged choke won't switch off
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I had a set of GT750 carbs last year that looked OK but one cylinder was cooler than teh others so off came the carbs again and parts all looked OK. Then I used a Vacuum tester and found that the cool cylinder choke did not actually seal well, so I replaced it.

The rubber tip does get hard as it ages - unlike guys - so now I always check that teh choke plunger does in fact seal off teh fuel passage. Get a MityVac or similar tool and test all 3 crabs.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

tz375 wrote:I had a set of GT750 carbs last year that looked OK but one cylinder was cooler than teh others so off came the carbs again and parts all looked OK. Then I used a Vacuum tester and found that the cool cylinder choke did not actually seal well, so I replaced it.

The rubber tip does get hard as it ages - unlike guys - so now I always check that teh choke plunger does in fact seal off teh fuel passage. Get a MityVac or similar tool and test all 3 crabs.
Interesting. How exactly do you use the vacuum tool to check the carb chokes?
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Multimts12
Still in the Driveway

Post by Multimts12 »

Good advice all stuff I hadn't thought of .
There aren't any pipes on the overflows will that matter ?
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Post by GTandcbr »

The choke hole is 'f' close the choke piston and apply the vacuum to 'f' it should not allow air through.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

Multimts12 wrote:Good advice all stuff I hadn't thought of .
There aren't any pipes on the overflows will that matter ?
It doesn't matter for getting the bike running. The tubes are only there to dump any overflowing fuel on the road, rather than onto the tp of a hot engine, where it could be a fire hazard :lol:

Just make sure the passage from the external brass nipple into the float chamber is clear of obstruction.
PaulD
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T250, Dunstall GT750L, GSXR1100, Z1300, GT500

Post by PaulD »

Hi, I’m the guy in Warrington AlanH was referring to
If you pm me your details I’ll get in touch and see if I can help you.
Those jap bikes are rubbish they won't last five minutes son, get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad

1971 Pink GT750J
1973 Blue T500J