GT750 ticking noise

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

1975gt750

GT750 ticking noise

Post by 1975gt750 »

Hi, new to this forum.... I've owned a 1975 GT750 for 40 years, and it looks better than I do. This year I noticed a ticking or tapping noise that seems to be from the left side (of the bike). I know it's impossible to diagnose from a description, but I'm looking for ideas from anyone who's had a similar problem. It only happens when the engine is cold, after it warms up the noise is completely gone. It's most noticeable at idle, when revved it goes away or blends in with the other noises. Otherwise starts and runs good. I haven't tried to isolate the sound yet, is the best way using a screwdriver to the ear? Thanks for any advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Re: GT750 ticking noise

Post by sportston »

Tiny exhaust leak on left cylinder that seals when the metal expands with heat?
1975gt750

Post by 1975gt750 »

Thanks for the tip. I tried just loosening the exhaust clamps and re-tightening them, and *maybe* it's a little better. In any case is isn't severe, yet, hoping it stays that way. A little piston slap at 25k wouldn't bother me. I know one of the generator pickup brushes on the right side is chipped, it's been like that for years. After paying $1350 for it 40 years ago, it doesn't owe me anything, but it's painful to think about it developing a terminal illness. Another thought, I've been using Yamalube 2S this year because it's available, but I don't really like it. Any opinions on the best oil and where to get it? I know there's another category for that.... Thanks!
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Congrats on having done a good job on keeping your GT750 in that good condition. There aren’t many sweet originals out there. :up:
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Wow, that bike is sweet and clean. Not many original bikes that look that good.

Slight tap could be a touch of piston slap or primary drive slack allowing a cyclic chatter. Try to get timing spot on and carbs perfectly synched.
1975gt750

Post by 1975gt750 »

Thanks! The picture does it some favors, but it's pretty clean. I have ridden it every year for 39 or 40 years. The timing is good, I haven't checked the carbs.
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

That's a lovely, clean bike, congratulations! If tightening the clamp has helped reduce the noise, it's probably the old sealing gasket which is leaking a little. Easy to replace during a rainy day.

If you do remove the exhausts to fit new gaskets, it's worth giving the exhausts an internal clean-out to evict old carbon deposits. Get a rubber mallet and whack on the seams of the exhaust, this can loosen a lot of crud that you can then pour out of the header. Then get one of those springy "drain snakes" that's for cleaning domestic drains. Fix it into the chuck of an electric drill, poke it down the header pipe and switch on, moving the drill back and forth. This scours the inside of the pipe. The pipe design causes rings of carbon to build up where the header is welded to the main exhaust pipe, and this robs power gradually. You'll be surprised at how perky the bike will feel after doing the above, and cleaning off the baffles with a wire brush (make sure the interior of the baffle tube is clear too).

Oil-wise, Yamalube is a good 2-stroke oil but if you want to change, any brand-name semi-synthetic 2-stroke oil that's for injection systems will work just fine. Look for the JASO FC or FD specification on the bottle, that's what you need. Silkolene, Putoline, Castrol, Mobil, Shell, Motul ... they're all good.
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed