1976 ts250 spark trouble i think?

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

mikeymistro
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: ts250 2 stroke 1976

1976 ts250 spark trouble i think?

Post by mikeymistro »

hi everyone.
I have just got my hands on a ts250 1976 2 stroke. It well for about an hour. it started to bog down on full throttle,i know it might have carb issues.
then it died. I couldn't start it again till the next day,when I kicked it over it ran for 3 seconds reved realy high then died. I checked for spark and found no spark. next day I got a new plug. I then tested the old plug and new plug for spark,both had spark? so then I put new spark plug in and kicked over. the same thing happened high rev 3 seconds then die. I checked both plugs after because the old one worked agin and it was dry and nothing. the same thing keeps happening after letting my bike rest over night without kicking it. ive just got new ignition coil did same thing..??? would my carb be messing up the spark but remember both plugs don't spark when I only use one?? after kicking it over. is it the cdi box ?? or something under the magneto? the wires have been stripped down to 2 wires that come from the casing to cdi to ignition coil. no kill wire been taped no other bear wires?
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: 1976 ts250 spark trouble i think?

Post by GTandcbr »

Hi Mike and fistly welcome to the forum. I dont have personal knowledge of your particular bike but hopefully someone who does will help you too. To start with do you have any history on the bike? When was it last on the road?. I think you are saying the bike ran okay for about an hour and then bogged down. If the carb has not been stripped i would suggest it could be sediment from the tank being sucked up into the jets. Have a look inside of the tank is it rusty? Whatever happens i would recommend fitting an inline filter. When you say the engine revved high when it did start that can be one of two things. Sticking throttle cable or more likely an air leak to the cylinder. This could be a leaking carb to cylinder rubber(they go hard and split with age) or possibly a leaking head or base gasket.
With regards to the spark problem check your plug cap too they can fail the same as the plug can.
Good luck!
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
mikeymistro
Still in the Driveway

Post by mikeymistro »

Hi mate thanks your advice. The tank was cleaned out before I got it because of rust. So I guess there might still be bits inside. Yes there is a crack in the rubber between carb and manifold. I don't have any history as it came from a women who devorced her partner. Who ran off with a younger women. So I got lucky. So you'd say new rubber. Fuel filter. And cap.?
mikeymistro
Still in the Driveway

Post by mikeymistro »

There's no lights no nothing. No history on it I'm in the dark. It has good kick
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GTandcbr »

Yes to all of those. Get the carb off take it apart. Get a can of carb cleaner remove the main jet and pIlot jet and spray every hole you can get the nozzle into. Then spray through the jets make sure you can see daylight through them and all the holes are clear.
If you have access to compressed air blow it all through.
What sort of bloke runs off and leaves his bike behind?
He needs to sort his priorities :wth:
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Post by dollydog »

the ts250 has an odd carb on it, where the main jet screws into the floatbowl :D when you take the floatbowl off, there's another metering jet coming down from the main body [where the main jet should be]. it will have an 'o' ring on it and these perish over time giving alsorts of carb and running issues. you need to change that as a matter of course. get back to us as you go through the problems and we'll do our best to help you out :)
cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GTandcbr »

This may help with your wiring issues
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikeymistro
Still in the Driveway

Post by mikeymistro »

I got the new cap today. No spark? So would it be the cd ignition unit or something else? Cheers
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GTandcbr »

I think you mentioned something about no killswitch? Because on a complete bike one of the reasons with spark problems is faulty connections in the killswitch. Whats your setup?
mikeymistro
Still in the Driveway

Post by mikeymistro »

The kill switch has been taped off. Something is killing the spark. Then it comes back after letting the bike stand overnight. Kick it and it goes.
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GTandcbr »

I would suggest that you reinstall the killswitch but the wires leading to it must be connected in some way or the bike wouldn't run. I am not an expert on your bikes ignition but think that there are three coils in the magneto that have been known to fail. I will search for the post on how to test the output look here to start with https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... ww.suzuki-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; foundgt.co.uk/images/Reference%2520Library/Technical%2520Bulletin%2520for%2520X7.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi8zo-Ooe3dAhUIbcAKHVfMDiAQFjADegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3t8rvwR31TwqHn6yVI8N6k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Found it look at this post. Same problem as yours I think
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13645&p=170927&hil ... ls#p170927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikeymistro
Still in the Driveway

Post by mikeymistro »

So I found a split in the yellow and blue wire. Got spark back. Then I kicked it over started for a bit so I wheeled it out my garage. Tried to start it and no spark. So I fear I may have had 2 issues going down. It also didn't rev high when it started.
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Post by dollydog »

if it only revved to about 2500 revs max, no matter how hard you tried, the answer is your 2 ignition coils in the mag - the primary and the pulser coils. unplug the mag at the top and test resistance. first from the red/black wire to a good earth [ground], reading should be around 220 ohms. now test the red/white wire and a good earth. reading should be about 75 ohms. anything wildly different and they are fried, get some new ones. i had the same trouble with a 1975 ts250 engine and chased my tail for days trying to suss the problem. it turned out to be both my coils were kaput. one reading was about 600 and the other was 147. i changed the whole mag for a ts185 mag [same unit] and now she runs perfectly. don't think it makes any difference, but i used the +ve probe on the red/black wire and the -ve probe to earth. my reading was 600, not 220. same with the red/white wire. i got a good spark, oddly enough, but it just wouldn't rev over 2500 :D try this first, just to cross it off the list. let us know how you get on.
cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.