I was the only one to bid on this T500 front fender......

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

dorT500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '75 T500M since '93 Ridden it over 100,000 mi

I was the only one to bid on this T500 front fender......

Post by dorT500 »

......I wonder why? :wink:

:shock:
ImageImage

Oh well, I need a full front fender bad

and I only paid $29.99 US for it plus shipping. I didn't even need the main bracket and stays....now I have two spare sets I won't need......knock on wood. :| I'm working on it, and what I don't get out, my chromer can take over using the proper procedure which I assume will be the body hammer/body dollies/shrinking disc method. And an little extra copper I guess. :( $$

It's not looking too bad so far. A little bending by hand just so, a little fire, a little cooling and using the curvature of the main bracket to hammer down on that bad front dent got a little of it out so far.

ebay listing pics and pics from my bench.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

A little cleaning and the main bracket and stays were a little more presentable. These and another set are for sale....cheap, if anybody needs them.

Other pics from ebay listing. Three tiny dents the chromer can take care of.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by dorT500 on Tue May 22, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: I was the only who bid on this T500 front fender........

Post by Alan H »

Well.......
It I'd done it, I'd have chucked the guard in the skip and kept the stays, then got a stainless guard and fitted the stays to it.
But then, I'm a Philistine who doesn't respect original if there's a sensible modern option, and as Yorkshireman, I can't see the point of chucking good money away. :wink:
However, I can't say you've not done it proud, 'cos you have. :up:
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
dorT500
To the on ramp

Re: I was the only one to bid on this T500 front fender.....

Post by dorT500 »

Alan H wrote:Well.......
If I'd done it, I'd have chucked the guard in the skip and kept the stays, then got a stainless guard and fitted the stays to it....However, I can't say you've not done it proud, 'cos you have. :up:
:) I'm a big fan of stainless. Lot of stainless steel bolts, several highly polished custom made SS bits from England and even stainless steel header pipes on this bike now but I do like to keep it original as possible when I can and it's less wear on my brain when I just follow suit with Suzuki. :wink:
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

I would be reporting the guy that sold that.....
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
dorT500
To the on ramp

Post by dorT500 »

rngdng wrote:I would be reporting the guy that sold that.....
:)

I'm quite happy with it but I know what you mean. It only took me less than an hour to get it to a tolerable condition for the chromer to fine tune. Actually, that major damage was not my main concern.....'push comes to shove'....my thinking before bidding on it was that if I couldn't straighten it out to an acceptable degree, I would just cut off the 1 1/2"-2" bad section until a reasonably priced nice, stock solid fender showed up somewhere.

My main concern, that I was willing to gamble $30.00 USD plus shipping on, was that the main bracket and stay fastening areas of the fender were solid and they are. I have seen a couple of salvage yard front fender assemblies that on first glance looked almost new and solid, only to inspect a little closer from underneath....a little tapping/poking with a screwdriver would reveal small but completely rusted through areas from rain/moisture being trapped periodically over the years between the fender and the main bracket and between the underside of the fender and the thin spot welded back up plate for the fasteners.

Overall, I'm happy with it but it will have to wait its turn to be rechromed. Right about now, I have 'bigger fish to fry'.